Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 08-10-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Celtics want Reggie Miller

[ QUOTE ]
I personally hated Reggie his entire career even tho I respect how good he was for Indiana. I think when people pump up Reggie they neglect how good some of his teams were. To me a guy that is 6-7 and can only get 2 rpg with 2 apg, plays terrible D while playing 36 min and has no rings just isn’t hall of fame caliber... not even close. But hey i have been wrong before.

If it was up to me I wouldn’t actively pursue Reggie but if he wants to play I will definitely give him a chance and show him my support.

[/ QUOTE ]
you'd be right, except for the fact reggie did something better then everyone else longer then everyone else. (3pt shooting) that seperated him from 'everyone else' and makes him HOFer. also being a 1 team player is a huge plus.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His HoF probability by basketball-reference's stat is 0.042. Granted, I think that stat is [censored], but it has a high success rate.

[/ QUOTE ]
kc, you know alot about basketball, and ive never heard that stat before - where did you find it, what does it mean, what is it based on, etc .?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KidColin im glad you are around here. I agree with everything you have said in this thread.

Im fine with Miller coming to the C's, No risk. Do I think he will get into the hall yes. But to say he is even in the top 20 SG of all time is a strech. IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% no risk w/ makeup?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 AM

bobbo,

link

Pros: basketball-reference rules.
Negatives: seems like a really simple model with some missing variables. It also includes height, though he has his reasons to do that.

Also he notes that the stat is meant to indicate who will likely make it to the HoF, not who should.

fwiw, Chris Mullin's score is also pretty low (.095), and he and Reggie are pretty similar, and Reggie is definitely the more prominent name. The only thing Mullin has over him is the Dream Team.

Some notables:
Steve Nash: .117 - Hurt by his lack of AS games. I think the b2b MVPs makes him a near lock. We'll see how he holds up historically, but these past 3 years have been such a huge PR gain for him.

Vince Carter: .925 - This seems too high. Amongst active players eligible for the stat (400 games I think), only Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, and AI are ahead of him. Given the recent additions of Dumars and Mullin to the HoF, I guess Vince is pretty likely. But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he doesn't. He hasn't accomplished much, he hasn't done any of the things reporters gush about as far as playoffs are concerned. His name is still a bit tainted due to the Toronto thing, and he just seems to play out his career just outside the class of the elite, dunk contests and All Star games excluded.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bobbo,

link

Pros: basketball-reference rules.
Negatives: seems like a really simple model with some missing variables. It also includes height, though he has his reasons to do that.

Also he notes that the stat is meant to indicate who will likely make it to the HoF, not who should.

fwiw, Chris Mullin's score is also pretty low (.095), and he and Reggie are pretty similar, and Reggie is definitely the more prominent name. The only thing Mullin has over him is the Dream Team.

Some notables:
Steve Nash: .117 - Hurt by his lack of AS games. I think the b2b MVPs makes him a near lock. We'll see how he holds up historically, but these past 3 years have been such a huge PR gain for him.

Vince Carter: .925 - This seems too high. Amongst active players eligible for the stat (400 games I think), only Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, and AI are ahead of him. Given the recent additions of Dumars and Mullin to the HoF, I guess Vince is pretty likely. But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he doesn't. He hasn't accomplished much, he hasn't done any of the things reporters gush about as far as playoffs are concerned. His name is still a bit tainted due to the Toronto thing, and he just seems to play out his career just outside the class of the elite, dunk contests and All Star games excluded.

[/ QUOTE ]

height wtf? I dont get it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 AM

tuq,

While I certainly would've preferred Jordan stay retired, I was always pretty amazed he was able to play at the level he did despite missing a few years and his advanced age.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM

I think this is a shrewd move by the Celtics. It's basically a freeroll. If Miller can give them 10 - 15 quality minutes per night behind Allen, then that's one key role player they've added. And think about end of games when they need a score to tie or win. The Celts will have Allen, Pierce, KG, and Reggie on the floor at the same time. That's absolutely sick. If it doesn't work out, no big deal -- they're not signing Reggie to a big contract.

Also, I simply don't see how you can keep Reggie out of the HOF. He's the greatest shooter of all time. Sure, Ray Allen may pass him in the career 3 point statistics, but he nor anyone else I've ever seen play has the range that Reggie does. It was not uncommon to see Reggie pull up 4 or 5 feet from behind the 3 pt line and sink shots with guys in his face like it was nothing.

When teams gameplanned against the Pacers, their #1 priority was trying to stop Reggie. The only significant low post threat he ever had on his team was Smits, and unfortunately Smits career was ravaged by injuries. Reggie also never played with an elite or even very good pg who was an excellent penatrator. As a primary result of these 2 factors, he had to work harder than any other superstar SG I've ever seen to get open.

And when you talk about being clutch in big games, the only other SG that you can even mention in the same sentence is Jordan. The 3rd quarter in game 5 vs. the Knicks. The game 1 vs. the Knicks where he scored 8 consecutive points to win the game in a matter of seconds. The shot to beat the Bulls in the conference finals over Jordan and Pippen. Etc., etc.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 PM

Spackler,

I think Reggie will get in, and I support that decision. But your argument has a few holes.

Re: the range/hands in face argument. Doesn't really say much. It's awesome from a spectacle stand point. Doesn't necessarily mean it's good, efficient basketball. And I'd venture to guess his career FG% from 27 feet w/ hands in face is on the order of 20%.

Re: the PG situation. He spent most of his prime alongside a Mark Jackson, a very good PG.

Re: Low post threat - he got 5 years of Jermaine O'Neal, 4 of which were JON's peak. However, he was hurt for half of Reggie's final season.

Re: Teams defended against him, had to work the hardest. Reggie had to work harder to get open than any other star SG because Reggie was worse at creating his own shot than any other star SG.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 AM

When Jordan came back to the Wizards, he was still a top level NBA player. There's only one reason why one can make the argument that his career was sullied and that's because in his prime he was the greatest player to have ever played basketball. Anything less = 'sullied'. I, for one, was just happy to see my favorite player still knocking down j's. That team was pathetic (jordan, hughes, stackhouse, no one else) and he still almost carried them to the playoffs twice.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:49 PM

It ain't happening. link