View Poll Results: ___
St. Louis 8 80.00%
San Francisco (H) 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: OOT lawyers:drinking and driving question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't advocate drinking and driving, but here's some advice if you are drunk and get in an accident. Always keep a bottle of liquor in your car. After the accident occurs you and the other person will have to get out, call the police, etc. As soon as the other person gets out of the car you should grab the bottle, get out of your car, make sure they see you and open said bottle and start taking it to the face Animal House style. It's obv. imperative they see you drinking from the bottle.

You can tell them the same thing you'll tell the cop. Something like "I'm in shock, it's just nerves, etc., and I have to have a drink." If the cop who arrives on the scene tries to arrest you for dui, it will never hold up in court if you hire a decent attorney.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, watch CSI much?

reminds me of a joke.

One foggy night, a Yankee fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston . While crossing a narrow bridge, they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars.

The Red Sox fan manages to climb out of his car and survey the damage. He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I'm lucky to be alive!" Likewise, the Yankees fan gets out of his car uninjured, he too feeling fortunate to have survived.

The Yankee fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says, "Hey, man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals."

The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're absolutely right! We should be friends. In fact, I' m going to see if something else survived the wreck."

The Red Sox fan then pops open his trunk and removes a full, undamaged bottle of Jack Daniel's. He says to the Yankee fan, "I think this is another sign we should toast to our newfound friendship." The Yankee fan agrees and grabs the bottle. After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says, "Your turn!"

The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws the rest of the bottle over the bridge into the river and says, "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up."

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't watch CSI. I've heard this advice firsthand from multiple defense attornies.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't advocate drinking and driving, but here's some advice if you are drunk and get in an accident. Always keep a bottle of liquor in your car. After the accident occurs you and the other person will have to get out, call the police, etc. As soon as the other person gets out of the car you should grab the bottle, get out of your car, make sure they see you and open said bottle and start taking it to the face Animal House style. It's obv. imperative they see you drinking from the bottle.

You can tell them the same thing you'll tell the cop. Something like "I'm in shock, it's just nerves, etc., and I have to have a drink." If the cop who arrives on the scene tries to arrest you for dui, it will never hold up in court if you hire a decent attorney.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, watch CSI much?

reminds me of a joke.

One foggy night, a Yankee fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston . While crossing a narrow bridge, they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars.

The Red Sox fan manages to climb out of his car and survey the damage. He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I'm lucky to be alive!" Likewise, the Yankees fan gets out of his car uninjured, he too feeling fortunate to have survived.

The Yankee fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says, "Hey, man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals."

The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're absolutely right! We should be friends. In fact, I' m going to see if something else survived the wreck."

The Red Sox fan then pops open his trunk and removes a full, undamaged bottle of Jack Daniel's. He says to the Yankee fan, "I think this is another sign we should toast to our newfound friendship." The Yankee fan agrees and grabs the bottle. After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says, "Your turn!"

The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws the rest of the bottle over the bridge into the river and says, "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up."

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't watch CSI. I've heard this advice firsthand from multiple defense attornies.

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAAHAHA this thread keeps getting better.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 PM

For once in this thread I agree with you.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, watch CSI much?

reminds me of a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you shoot your wife and the cops come up to you while you still have the gun, fire a few rounds into the air, that way they can't test you for gun powder residue.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another note: let's suppose you roll the dice, take the breathalyzer test, and blow a .06 or .07.

Hooray! You passed! You're in the clear! Right?

Wrong. In Texas, for example, a .08 breath test is only ONE of the bases for a DWI conviction. Another one is "not having the normal use of your mental and/or physical faculties due to the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body."

So if the officer observes/believes you are not in control of yourself mentally or physically, you're going to get arrested and charged anyway.

And your license suspended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the difference between a DWI, and a DUI? if not, what is the diff?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another note: let's suppose you roll the dice, take the breathalyzer test, and blow a .06 or .07.

Hooray! You passed! You're in the clear! Right?

Wrong. In Texas, for example, a .08 breath test is only ONE of the bases for a DWI conviction. Another one is "not having the normal use of your mental and/or physical faculties due to the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body."

So if the officer observes/believes you are not in control of yourself mentally or physically, you're going to get arrested and charged anyway.

And your license suspended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the difference between a DWI, and a DUI? if not, what is the diff?

[/ QUOTE ]

No difference; some states call it "Driving Under the Influence" and some call it "Driving While Intoxicated." Both mean the same thing; of course, the laws concerning arrest, conviction and penalty vary across the board.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 PM

In Maryland at least, they're two different crimes - DWI is a .07 or higher, DUI is .08.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Maryland at least, they're two different crimes - DWI is a .07 or higher, DUI is .08.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected--it looks like in some states they are two different things.

In Maryland, DWI is a lesser offense and stands for Driving While Impaired, and DUI is the greater offense and stands for Driving Under the Influence. Under the federal definition, however, DWI stands for Driving While Intoxicated and is a greater offense than a DUI.

In most states it's either called one or the other.