Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: \"He can\'t have two seats\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What in the world were they thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]
The exact thought process is: "There's a rule against that, dammit!"

Common sense isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Also this is a market that until now common sence wasn't used on the floor.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
standard O8 nits

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-09-2007, 01:18 AM

I hadn't dealt much O/8 lately, but I did last night.

As I pushed into the game, the departing dealer said to me, "Dead Button". I looked and saw that the button was in Seat 3. There was a player in Seat 3, with no chips. Seats 4 and 5 had already posted their blinds.

Before the departing dealer got away, I asked him specifically if Seat 3 should get a hand. The dealer shrugged. I asked him if Seat Three paid a blind in the last hand, and was told that no, he had not.

Meanwhile, Seat 3 still hadn't shown any indication that he planned to put money on the table. So I dealt around him. Naturally, this is exactly what he wanted, so he could blow his top (this guy is always trying to start trouble so he can yell at dealers; his favorite move is to refuse to act when it's his turn, and when he's finally prompted, he can say, "Oh, I checked a long time ago, you should pay attention.").

"What are you doing???", he demanded.

"I can deal you in next hand, sir."

"(agitated) But I'm just like a new player!"

"(calmly) I can't let a new player come in on the button, either. Right?"

At this point he started grumbling about what a smart alec I was. I told him that I really didn't want to fight with him, and I'd be glad to call the floor if he wasn't satisfied with the way I was handling things.

Paranoid schizo that he is, he took that to mean, "I'm ratting you out to the floor, Mr Bully!", and dared me to call whomever I want. "You do whatever you want to do."

What I wanted to do was shut up and deal, so I shut up and dealt.

After that hand, I moved the button. Seat 3 still had no money on the table.

"Would you like to come in?", I asked.

"Hell, no!", he bellowed. I shrugged and dealt around him for my entire down. He spent that entire time scowling at me. He bought chips from the next dealer after I left.

That was Hand One and Hand Two of that down. Want to hear about Hand Three?

A new player joined the game. A big pot broke out. The new guy's set of Aces was the nuts on the turn, but of course had almost no shot when the board didn't pair on the river. Somebody had a straight, and two others made a flush.

The new guy with the set of Aces didn't hesitate to accuse me of running the deck up on him, giving him the nuts on the turn, and cracking them on the river. He wasn't kidding. He thought the entire game was a set-up.

He REALLY lost it when he found out the guy in the dealer's uniform playing in Seat 10 was employed by the house.

"That's his own money he's playing with, not the house's," one player explained (I certainly wasn't going to waste my time trying to use logic with a nutjob). New Guy didn't believe that, and made sure we knew that he felt his intelligence had just been insulted.

"He's got $20 left in his stack. If he's scamming anybody, he's not doing a very good job of it!", they tried. This did nothing to assuage New Guy's suspicions.

I checked my watch. I still had 22 minutes to go. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 01:30 AM

Three hands in eight minutes? Sweet.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with his interaction with the disgruntled player, too. I want him to deal all my games.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 AM

You have my sympathy. One time I was in an O8 game and I muttered, "We hate playing it as much as you hate dealing it." The dealer turned and overtly nodded to me. I can't imagine how aggravating it is. I feel so bad for these guys that I turn into an assistant dealer: calling hands, reminding players of their action, but that might just piss them off more.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose we still live in that magical land where every dealer pushes into his table at exactly :30 and :00 of the hour too, right?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:52 AM

Some people live to be 'right' and will not miss an opportunity to point out what isn't 'right'. This example is funny, funny, funny. I'd have had a field day with the 'leader' if I'd been there.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 AM

I've had nits start the "How long can they be gone?" talk with empty seats and no list before. Usually the standard "as long as no one needs the seat" pacifies them.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 AM

omaha eight players can be a really strange bunch....

obviously if you need the seat, pick up the chips. until then, wtf does it matter? btw, is this the rio?