Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 10:05 PM

Default JJH\'s Poo-Bah Post (LC)

Hey all,

Well I don't want this to sound like your basic overdone graduation speech so I won't say "what a long strange journey its been" or any of those bogus cliches, but I'm reasonably pleased that I've finally reached the rank of Poo-Bah, and I thought I'd commemorate it with my very own post.

I'm not sure exactly where to begin. I don't feel qualified to do a broad strategy post, and I don't want to bore everyone with my "poker story".

In truth, my poker story is far less interesting than my 2+2 story. I, like most of you I imagine, came to this site after reading one of David Slansky's books. For me it was HEFAP. What I've found here has been far more useful and interesting than that book could ever be. This community is responsible for the player that I've become, and I'd like to recognize the site, and especially SSLHE, for allowing me to stay in action even as the online games got tougher and tougher.

I've also gotten the chance to get to know, if only in the digital world, some pretty fun people. Favorate moments include straddling and restraddling with Harv and James. at .25/.5 at FTP. Having BigBadBabar invite me on the next Foxwoods trip (Late August I'm there). And finishing dead last in the micro HULHE league. It takes heart to go 0-4, I'm telling you.

Its probably nerdy to say so, but I think its so cool to be able to post in the same thread as the elite players in this game. Where else can you do that? Its not like I can post about the proper way to throw a curveball and have Barry Zito respond. It makes me happy when JoeTall or mike l or anyone who plays really big posts in the same thread as me. Yes, I'm a bit of a fanboy.

I guess I should impart some advice. I think that is SOP. Sadly the thing I feel most qualified to address are downswings, and dealing with them. I've come to the point where I've realized that the way the games are and at my current skill level, I can't beat the rake in the toughest SSLHE games on the net. I find it hard to believe that even the best players in the world can beat the game for over 1 BB/100 without fantastic game selection. There are times (daytime on weekdays) when almost all of 2+2 would be losers in these games. Anyway, not news for most of you I guess. The point is, unless something changes, downswings are the future of online poker. If you tilt easily, play short sessions, have stop losses etc.

Learn to recognize when you aren't a favorite. This is something I've always struggled with. Its hard, especially when you are used to success, to realize that the games have gotten tougher in subtle ways. Whenever you hear someone say that the games on the net haven't gotten harder since [insert bad online event here], realize that they probably either are running very well or don't recognize the ways the games are getting worse. I know much of what I'm saying is old hat, but I'm saying them for a reason. These are easy things to say, but putting them into practice is really really tough: tougher than playing AQ against an UTG raiser or how to play unimproved overcards on the turn.

The average 2+2er is really good at poker. Most of us are part of the top 10% of players in the world. Winning at poker is hard. These things you've heard over and over again will make it a bit easier.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Small Stakes

J
Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: JJH\'s Poo-Bah Post (LC)

Hey beautiful post JJH. Congratulations on your Poo-Bah status.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:09 PM

Congratulations! I really enjoyed your post.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM

Congrats! And I for one think you could write some very good strategy posts...but those are kind of boring to write, while LC posts are fun. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know how much you & everyone has been keeping up with things, but there have been some very positive developments lately in the fight against the UIGEA. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything, but it does look like the movement to repeal or at least ammend it is gaining momentum. If any of you aren't you should check out the Legislation forum every so often.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 12:50 AM

i remember you and Harv getting way out of line that night in the FTP micro game. i played my normal TAG style for the most part and finished up 50bb that session. sure, i loosened up a little bit, for instance only capping premium hands like 63o when OOP. but for the most part i only capped the postflop streets with strong hands like bottom pair, ace high, gutshots and the such.

[ QUOTE ]
Its probably nerdy to say so, but I think its so cool to be able to post in the same thread as the elite players in this game. Where else can you do that? Its not like I can post about the proper way to throw a curveball and have Barry Zito respond. It makes me happy when JoeTall or mike l or anyone who plays really big posts in the same thread as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. perspective that is always so solid, as well as generous in analyzing the situations and explaining concepts.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its probably nerdy to say so, but I think its so cool to be able to post in the same thread as the elite players in this game. Where else can you do that? Its not like I can post about the proper way to throw a curveball and have Barry Zito respond. It makes me happy when JoeTall or mike l or anyone who plays really big posts in the same thread as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. perspective that is always so solid, as well as generous in analyzing the situations and explaining concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoot, I meant to comment on this too. Probably the one thing that sold me on these forums when I first signed up was opening a thread & seeing multiple, long responses in it from Greg Raymer. This was right after he'd won the main event. Even nowadays, there are some absolutely phenomenal poker players on here giving out free advice.

[ QUOTE ]
i remember you and Harv getting way out of line that night in the FTP micro game. i played my normal TAG style for the most part and finished up 50bb that session. sure, i loosened up a little bit, for instance only capping premium hands like 63o when OOP. but for the most part i only capped the postflop streets with strong hands like bottom pair, ace high, gutshots and the such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once my bankroll recovers from the latest round of real-world expenses, we'll have to have another game. I've gotten much better at playing like an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Grats mate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And I agree on pretty much everything (except that 10%: we're clearly in the top 5% [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And finishing dead last in the micro HULHE league. It takes heart to go 0-4, I'm telling you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Well then.team Greensteins beard sure had lots of that then. As you know, you werent alone in HULA suckage. Perhaps a new avatar is required? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyway, good post JJH. I hope you cashgame luckbox is the polar opposite of your HULA luckbox. I know mine is.

[ QUOTE ]
Learn to recognize when you aren't a favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call. table and seat selection seem more important these days. Personally, Im quite happy to move down from my current limit if thats where the fish as. Sure I make les monies but my BB/100 benefits as does my confidence.

ozi
Old 07-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Congratulations JJH! As a new person to the forum I am already learning a lot more than I thought I knew, and learning to do some different things w/ my game than the same stuff I have been doing forever, I think they will only continue to help me more in the years I hope to keep using them, and props to all the great, succesful players that take time out of their schedules to hang w/ the peons on here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Congrats. Good post.

What are one or two things you've learned that took you from "there" to "here"?