Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: So what other strategy games have you played.....

bw, obv
Old 02-23-2006, 06:50 PM

I played Risk a ton on Dominate.game. I remember being quite good, and achieving a pretty high ranking, (I'm sure I reached 2000 at one point) but I can't remember if I was ever like top 10 or anything. I pretty much stopped once the whole copyright thing happenned.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never liked CC since you had to control your army at all times, ie units didnt return fire automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why Red Alert was the ultimate skill/strategy game mix. You had to be on top of EVERYTHING at all times. The fact that there was actually skill in the tankfights because of the Q button is what made it fantastic. I didn't like Tiberian Sun because it did everything for you. All the games took way too long, whereas you could wipe someone out in 3 minutes in RA, or the game could last 30 if you could successfully repel the attacks. There was NOTHING better than sneaking 6 engineers in your CY while your opponnent helplessly tried to take it out. Throw in having 2 simutaneous tankfights while building buildings at the same time and it was intense.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:06 PM

Pirates, Oil Imporium, Ports of Call.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I myself have been considered the top Utopia and top Red Alert player at one point in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woot! I missed that sentence when I read your post.

I remember after playing the game for acouple weeks Anglia convinced me to play Nikla on NSC. I've never felt so violated in any game! Check your inbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started off playing solely on TEN. One of my friends was one of the better players on there, and even made the final 8 in that $10,000 PGL tourney they had. My friend beat DeepBlue (who won it) right before the tournament started..... but I think my friend, unabomber1, had a huge fear of failure.... because he got addicted to Ultima Online.... and when he actually travelled to Seattle he was terrible.

TEN was great because you could play 6 player team matches, which you never could on Westwood. Us TEN players thought all Westwood players sucked, but as soon as I moved over to Westwood, the first person I played was anglia, he was a really nice guy and my perception changed. Anglia played, but at that time he wasn't constantly playing, so I didn't have all too many matches with him.

For the sake of keeping it out of PM, Nikla basically taught me to get on top of my game. We would play for 10 hours at a time, and I might get lucky an win a few matches. But finally, the student became the master when I ran 7-0 against him and I'm pretty sure that put him in retirement.

I wasn't the best student at this time, so my mom took my computer away from me so I would focus on school. I could only play every other weekend at my dad's, yet somehow that kept me fresh. Usually I would start off the weekend unranked, then by Sunday I'd be atop of cases. The westwood ladder was fun as well, as there was one time during summer that I spent 2 weeks at my dads, and got like 5 names in the top 10. That was probably when I was at my peak.

Most all the RedAlert players could only claim to be the best for a short while, but I was definately the best for a few month period in there, and towards the top for a good year or so. About the time of my decline, I was really good friends, and still am, with EEKtheDog and Pinky95, and Pinky95 pretty much owned me as I was on my decline.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:53 PM

Chess, AOE, C&C to an extent.

Years of my life given to Starcraft:BW
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 PM

I majored in Dominoes in college.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 PM

SC/BW. I find it sad that a majority of the world will not know the joys involved w/ completely dominating a maps resources and overrunning your opponents bases.

Stim-X17

-JP
Old 02-23-2006, 11:52 PM

how has no one mentioned Magic the Gathering here yet?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:24 AM

I'll give anyone here 5 to 1 odds on tic tac toe HU