Default Re: car question: any mechanics help me out

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ Jack Cust being the AL MVP

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam Dunn for NL MVP
Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i assume he was lol'ing at me because specifying AL MVP might imply that someone else in the other league was better which is a pretty LOL thought in and of itself. unfortunately there is no MVP of the world award that I am aware of so such specification is necessary.

i assumed that meaning b/c it is the only logical interpretation of his words.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh no I was LOL'ing because Jack Cust sucks
Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bumping crappy old thread so i don't have to start crappy new thread.

a guy is trying to sell me a '77 lincoln town car. i took it for a quick test drive and it ran fairly hot. it's been a couple weeks so I can't remember exactly, but I would guess it was about 75% up the gauge. he changed the thermo. and hoses. i called him up and asked about it and he said it was still running a little hot, but old cars and those engines (ford 460) especially typically ran a little hot without causing any problem. obv. i have a hard time believing this whether he's lying or just doesn't know any better.

i'll have another chance to look over it this weekend. is there anything my amateur/clueless ass can take a look at to get an educated guess if it's something serious like a cracked head or w/e?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any white smoke comming out the tailpipe? Is there any water in the oil (light brownish)? If not, Im betting that the guy wasnt BS'ing you, those big old motors will run a little hotter, especially during the summer, does it actually ahve a temp amount on there so you can tell us what its running at?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 AM

so back to the car thing. i really want the damn thing. it sucks because other than the overheating thing it is in very good condition. the engine felt great otherwise. so someone talk some sense into me before i allow myself to get ripped off. dammit why can't everything be simple and easy like hitting home runs and walking. i mean, it could be because the a/c was on full blast... even though i only drove it around town for an hour or so and didn't drive up a single damn hill. right? RIGHT??? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so back to the car thing. i really want the damn thing. it sucks because other than the overheating thing it is in very good condition. the engine felt great otherwise. so someone talk some sense into me before i allow myself to get ripped off. dammit why can't everything be simple and easy like hitting home runs and walking. i mean, it could be because the a/c was on full blast... even though i only drove it around town for an hour or so and didn't drive up a single damn hill. right? RIGHT??? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you run your car, do not turn the AC on, dont turn your heat on either, but if the AC is off, and the temp is sticking right in the middle, then turn your AC on, if the temp jumps, but than sticks again 3/4 of the way, you should be fine.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 AM

F OOT
Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i assume he was lol'ing at me because specifying AL MVP might imply that someone else in the other league was better which is a pretty LOL thought in and of itself. unfortunately there is no MVP of the world award that I am aware of so such specification is necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shut up

guids-

no smoke. i will check the oil next time. ty for the suggestion. i am 90% sure there was only "C_________H" on the gauge, but my memory is pretty fried. what concerned me was how quickly the temp. shot up and stayed there. the radiator was hot as [censored] too, too hot to be comfortable to take the cap off.

dude selling it was incredibly nice and accommodating though, fwiw. unfortunately, that doesn't really indicate anything it just makes it extremely awkward to say "i'm not sure I'm believe you dude" to the guy.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shut up

guids-

no smoke. i will check the oil next time. ty for the suggestion. i am 90% sure there was only "C_________H" on the gauge, but my memory is pretty fried. what concerned me was how quickly the temp. shot up and stayed there. the radiator was hot as [censored] too, too hot to be comfortable to take the cap off.

dude selling it was incredibly nice and accommodating though, fwiw. unfortunately, that doesn't really indicate anything it just makes it extremely awkward to say "i'm not sure I'm believe you dude" to the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha..no matter what your car, never touch the radiator cap until 20 or 30 minuts after the car is off, that is completely normal. If the gauge is sticking at certain points when the air is on, and another point when it is off, then you are fine.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shut up

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I'm just bitter because I picked him up for my fantasy team and he proceeded to suck a dick.