Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Why would anyone want to be famous?

For my own mentality I guess it's just a weird ego-thing at enjoyment of being heard.

My radio broadcast career doesn't feel much different ego-wise than being a semi-recognizeable guy in the 2+2 universe.

But all my radio or weird 2+2 semi-fame doesn't really hold a candle to being REALLY famous.
It's not the same as being recognized EVERYWHERE you go or even having an increased chance of scoring hot girls.
The REALLY famous stuff has to be a big PITA pretty quickly (while also having it's own monster perks).

My very limited experience with small-time fame is more like being a really recognizeable figure in a small-town (some of whom tell you how awesome you are and won't you 'please please please' sign this or have your pic taken with them)
Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 PM

I have to say I am always awed when running into a Jeter or a Schilling or a Carmen Electra randomly that they were all 10x nicer than anyone has a right to expect. Jeter posed for photos, twice, while he was eating dinner with Mannillo [right next to us.]

I sure as hell wouldn't put up with that.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:11 PM

I'd love to have a famous name, but an anonymous face. Best of both worlds.

A race car driver would be perfect.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For my own mentality I guess it's just a weird ego-thing at enjoyment of being heard.

My radio broadcast career doesn't feel much different ego-wise than being a semi-recognizeable guy in the 2+2 universe.

But all my radio or weird 2+2 semi-fame doesn't really hold a candle to being REALLY famous.
It's not the same as being recognized EVERYWHERE you go or even having an increased chance of scoring hot girls.
The REALLY famous stuff has to be a big PITA pretty quickly (while also having it's own monster perks).

My very limited experience with small-time fame is more like being a really recognizeable figure in a small-town (some of whom tell you how awesome you are and won't you 'please please please' sign this or have your pic taken with them)

[/ QUOTE ]

is this like being a "pretty big deal around here"?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 PM

I always figured it might have been fun to be part of a flavour of the month type band. You get to enjoy the chicks and cars for a while, but eventually you can be a regular guy again (and be rich on top of it). I'd rather be one of the guys from New Kids on the Block than Mick Jagger.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:35 PM

I don't think it qualifies as a big deal and I thought I made it pretty clear that my radio experience was so small-time as to be pretty inconsequential.

But I do have some limited experience of having people come up to me and ask for my autograph or photo.
So even though I wouldn't consider myself famous in the least I still thought my observations were relevant.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:48 AM

Since they've shown the USPC about a thousand times, I've kind of turned into a local celebrity in Norman. About 75% of the time I go out to a restaurant, the hostess/host or my server will know me. I get recognized when I go to Wal-Mart to buy a video game. People ask me all the dumb questions you expect, and I've signed a few autographs. The weirdest was the valet at Caesar's Palace wanted his picture with me.

Basically, I've started to hate it. Before people knew me, I thought it would be kinda cool to be on TV and have people know me, but now that they actually do and approach me/say weird things, it's kinda awkward and gets old very fast. I think every kid dreams of being famous though, right?

The only autograph I've enjoyed signing was the first.

I can't imagine if I was a pro sports player or actor. There is no way I'd put up with it.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:17 AM

Some of the athletes who deal with this stuff just blow me away.

I really don't harbor much of a grudge against those who aren't 100% classy to the fans all the time because I've seen some of the crap they have to put up with.

I saw a spring-training game in Vero Beach where the Orioles came to town. Cal Ripken made the 2 hour drive seperately, had breakfast at a local restaurant, played about 5 innings, and then came out to the front of the stands and signed autographs for fans for the next 2 or 3 hours.

He was always polite and nice. But some of the fans were just plain embarassing and obnoxious. "Cal! Cal! Cal! Sign this Cal! I'm next Cal! You suck Cal!" etc etc etc.
Just really awful behavior.
And he kept smiling and signing autographs. Tried to turn away those who he thought he recognized as coming back for seconds (likely were just trying to sell stuff on e-bay).

Of course, most of the fans are nice enough and well behaved (although still too enthusiastic sometimes) but those in the worst 10% behave really badly and it's just disgusting.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:57 AM

Because everyone has a camera phone or digital camera if you're famous you can't do blow in front of strangers. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:04 AM

Default re

Because life = high school.

I learned from hanging out with a ton of Real Worlders etc that being famous even on that bottom rung...is far far far different than being loaded.