Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Critique my workout please

I weighed myself on Easter and weighed 305 lbs. Im 6ft tall with a large build. ya im fat, i know. Well since Easter i decided to do somethin. since then ive been on a exercise/diet regimen (its a start since i didnt exercise and ate whatever before this). I do have some muscle from doing power lifting for 4 years in high school but still its a lot of fat.
My diet has consisted of this since Easter:
i wake up and eat a power/protein bar, a piece of fruit, a multi-vitamin and 20oz of water
lunch- a homemade turkey sandwich or a 6 inch sub from Subway with healthy fixings and some baked lays potato chips and 40oz. of water
dinner- i'll have 40oz. of water with 2 lean cuisine meals or grilled chicken with mixed veggies

for snacks i'll have some grapes or somethin, and of course there are some meals that vary but i try to keep around the same calorie intake everyday. Im in college so if i go to the bars i just have a bacardi and diet coke.

For exercise i've been running 4 times a week for as long as i can run until i physically dont think i can anymore, then i'll walk back home. Lifting is about 3 times a week. i'll do bicep curls/tricep stuff/and benching 150 lbs as many times as i can (usually a set of 25 and then another set of 20)-also occasionally i'll go golfing and play basketball, this doesn't take place of me running or lifting though

Since Easter I've lost 15 lbs. Right now im just trying to lose fat. I think a big problem my whole life was that I had a very low metabolism.
So is there anything I can be doing that will help me? I'd be willing to take supplements to help lose fat but which ones actually work? Any workout suggestions? any diet suggestions? any input will be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Critique my workout please

Drop the bicep/tricep/bench stuff and swap in hamstring/quad/squat stuff.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Drop the bicep/tricep/bench stuff and swap in hamstring/quad/squat stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could ya tell me why?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 AM

Illini,

I was joking. Though what I said is a ton better than what you are doing. Goto www.t-nation.com or www.crossfit.com and find a diet/workout combo that you like. Bill Starr's 5x5 program and the Starting Strength that so many people favor on this forum are two very common ones. As far as diets go just find anything to get you in a set schedule really with a lot of small meals and weight will come off. Try to focus on the 80% ATM instead of the minute details. You're really fat ATM and that needs to be your main concern. Lift weights on your 3 days a week like the programs say, get exercise on the others (long walks, bball etc) and don't eat everything you can get your hands on.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 AM

You need to work your total body, not just your arms for one thing.

Squats, deads, rows, dips, pullups would be better off for you than a bunch of isolation exercises.

Compound (multi joint, multi muscle moves) moves should be the basis of all workouts. Isolation exercises are secondary to compounds in all properly designed workouts. You can keep the bicep/tricep/bench stuff, but it really should be a secondary thought to getting in the compound basic movements.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to work your total body, not just your arms for one thing.

Squats, deads, rows, dips, pullups would be better off for you than a bunch of isolation exercises.

Compound (multi joint, multi muscle moves) moves should be the basis of all workouts. Isolation exercises are secondary to compounds in all properly designed workouts. You can keep the bicep/tricep/bench stuff, but it really should be a secondary thought to getting in the compound basic movements.

[/ QUOTE ]
Will he have any issues with doing these correctly due to his weight, from your experiences?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM

He shouldnt have any issues with most of those...Squats he will probably not be able to go as low as he would like but that will come with working out and getting more flexible...As long as he has weighted help, dips and pullups wont be to bad...The rest just takes learning good form and starting light and building up
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM

body weight box squats might be a good idea to start...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He shouldnt have any issues with most of those...Squats he will probably not be able to go as low as he would like but that will come with working out and getting more flexible...As long as he has weighted help, dips and pullups wont be to bad...The rest just takes learning good form and starting light and building up

[/ QUOTE ]
squats and all that lifting i actually do correctly form wise. I was in powerlifting for 4 years in high school and they were very big on form, i also lifted because i was in football. ive maintained a surprisingly high flexibility for my size, its just that my strength isn't where it should be. i can't do a pullup and can do very few dips. i just didnt think i had to lift like i used to in order to just lose body fat
Old 05-01-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will he have any issues with doing these correctly due to his weight, from your experiences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he will have problems. I was more trying to make a bigger point about working the total body than trying to say make sure you do pullups. Those were just examples, sorry I should have been more clear.

OP: This is a link to a thread about an article I wrote a few years ago. It has some tips that would carry over well for helping to drop some LB's.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10046707

The most important thing for you to do is just keep it up. If you consisently strive to eat a good diet 90% of the time, and increase your activity level your GOING to see results. People just get discouraged and fall off the wagon. Seeing as how you've already lost 15 pounds I'd say your on the right track.