Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 04-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Stars: A Day Without Shortstacking Ratholers

There is nothing wrong per se with shortstacking; it's a valid, profitable way of exploiting other people's play, whether the other people are fish or strong players, and it's not against the rules. The fact that everyone is allowed to shortstack means it's not 'unfair' - what a ridiculous word to use - whether it is helpful to the game or not is another question.

Just to prove my point, in some parts of yorkshire (this is 2nd hand but can be corroborated) the all-in underraise rule is heinously misinterpreted. For example, player A, with a stack of £200, bets £30, player B with a stack of £55 now raises all-in, but as a result the betting is now closed to player C who can only call the £55 or fold. Now, this is by no means unfair, but everyone involved should be able to see that this is a retarded rule.

I really don't see why so many people have problems with the shortstackers. I find them easy to play against, yes, they complicate matters when you're targeting another big stack, but it doesn't take much adjustment. I also find playing as a shortstack easy and profitable. Maybe everyone who is so annoyed at all the shortstackers should spend a day or two doing it themselves just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But there's no hand examples in rolf's book that talk about what to do when you are the one that gets reraised he becomes just a bad a player as the ones he does it too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, Rolf does say something about it. Actually, his motivation to checkraise is to get himself committed with a preflop (hopefully) best hand in play. So reraising doesnt matter anymore since he allready should be committed (if not then he wasnt a real shortstack i guess)
Old 04-05-2007, 08:48 AM

I've lost count the number of times Joelmick has managed to get it in while behind....

POKERSTARS GAME #5810258686: OMAHA POT LIMIT ($25/$50)
Table 'Germania IV' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: Ayune ($19264 in chips)
Seat 2: joelmick ($550 in chips)
Seat 3: Stavros ($6681 in chips)
Seat 4: Ribs ($12879 in chips)
Seat 5: BadLarry ($5000 in chips)
Seat 6: Jinx1 ($8229 in chips)
Seat 7: Redmouse ($10352 in chips)
Seat 8: Bouling ($5271 in chips)
Seat 9: OJforPREZ ($4333 in chips)
Ayune: posts small blind $25
joelmick: posts big blind $50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ribs [5d 5h As 4s]
Stavros: calls $50
Ribs: calls $50
BadLarry: folds
Jinx1: folds
Redmouse: folds
Bouling: calls $50
OJforPREZ: calls $50
Ayune: calls $25
joelmick: raises $300 to $350
Stavros: folds
Ribs: folds
Bouling: folds
OJforPREZ: calls $300
Ayune: raises $1200 to $1550
joelmick: calls $200 and is all-in
OJforPREZ: calls $1200
*** FLOP *** [Kc Kd Jh]
Ayune: checks
OJforPREZ: checks
*** TURN *** [Kc Kd Jh] [3c]
Ayune: bets $3797
OJforPREZ: folds
*** RIVER *** [Kc Kd Jh 3c] [2s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Ayune: shows [Qc Ad Ah 5s] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
Ayune collected $2000 from side pot
joelmick: shows [9s Ks Kh Qd] (four of a kind, Kings)
joelmick collected $1797 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3800 Main pot $1797. Side pot $2000. | Rake $3
Board [Kc Kd Jh 3c 2s]
Seat 1: Ayune (small blind) showed [Qc Ad Ah 5s] and won ($2000) with two pair, Aces and Kings
Seat 2: joelmick (big blind) showed [9s Ks Kh Qd] and won ($1797) with four of a kind, Kings
Seat 3: Stavros folded before Flop
Seat 4: Ribs folded before Flop
Seat 5: BadLarry folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Jinx1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Redmouse folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Bouling folded before Flop
Seat 9: OJforPREZ (button) folded on the Turn
Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As to the vacation or not thing, we'll see in short order I would imagine. Also, at least for the 3/6 blind and up, it's more like 6 short stackers and not 4 (eva, oskar, coco, joel, superboy, and some recent guy Henrico). And as I mentioned there is apparently a different set for the mid and lower levels, although I'm not familiar with them which is why I hope some players from those levels chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump to note it's after Easter and therefore the last of the spring breaks and vacations, and STILL no sign of those dumb [censored] shortstackers or any players that look like dupe accounts. It came to mind, that in addition to the possibility of their being bots and caught by stars, there is also the possibility that they were all datamining against the T&C of stars and got banned for that instead (though they don't really need to datamine with a min buyin).

Again, it is very funny that players from two continents all disappear at the same time, though of course if they were multiaccounting and getting away with it to hyper-table, then there might be fewer than 6 actual persons and account for more player sn's gone from the higher levels. Can any here who play lower than 3/6 blinds speak as to whether there were regular multi-tabling shortstackers there who have vanished as well?

Whatever the reason, good riddance and hope they stay gone.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can any here who play lower than 3/6 blinds speak as to whether there were regular multi-tabling shortstackers there who have vanished as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they have, but full ring games have almost vanished as well and some non-shortstackers are also not playing. It really is very odd.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:42 AM

Bumping thread to note I'm pretty sure I just spotted one of the 6 earlier mentioned with a new screen name on plo600 and 1K.

oceania99 = cocoblackcat

Same min buyin and city, and same MO. There are some other new ones but aren't sure if they are randoms or not. Maybe I'll have to email stars to check out oceania99.

davemcg,

Thanks for that report. So it looks like a lot of the short stack ratholers disappeared from all levels. As you say the proliferation of 6-max might be a big factor, but for them to all disappear at once is odd if they weren't banned by stars. Maybe Rolf sponsors a private short stack rathole forum and they just all decided to drop out at the same time and reappear with new accounts and screen names. The clue will be if a lot of new shorties appear multitabling a wide range of levels every day.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 AM

bump

looks like they might be coming to Full Tilt now. just great:
http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/tip-ema...php?utm_id=100
Old 06-16-2007, 12:41 PM

FFS if you can't beat shortstackers give up the game. Let it go.