Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Tri-mester schools? Pros and cons.

One of my top choices is a tri-mester school. Vacations are shorter. Does this include summer vacation.

Any other info and help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Tri-mester schools? Pros and cons.

Look around their website, probably in the academics area, find their academic calendar.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 PM

You can view the calendar on their site. At my school summer begins a lot later than most schools and school starts a lot later. Also, trimesters make it more difficult. Material is more condensed and messing up on an exam is a lot harder to fix. Also, you of course have to take 3/2 the final exams.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 PM

MTU actually switched from a trimester system to a semester system while I was there...

Pros:
- 10 week classes go by MUCH quicker.
- At least one less exam in each class.
- More flexibility in classes if you are double-majoring

Cons:
- Thanksgiving in the cafeteria.
- Breaks are shorter and/or scheduled differently than everyone else.
- Summer break starts one or two weeks later, meaning that stupid-college-kid jobs (like painting) already have most of their hires.

Honestly, if I was doing one set program, and I had a good summer hookup already going, I would rather have stayed on the trimester system. Semesters are WAY too long. But, since I was double-majoring and my summer jobs were already set anyway, semesters worked out fine too.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Hold'em07, what school?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 PM

have gone to both a tri-mester and non tri-mester schools

if u value your summers and it's important to you that you get 4 months off tri-mester is bad

if u enjoy school and are bored during the summers then tri-mester is good

also tri-mester is less stressfull because you don't have to take 5 classes at once... you can take 4 and often 3

college is great, i didn't like the school i was going to for the tri-mester, but i like my school know and i wish it was a tri-mester, summers are to long, and 5 classes can be stressull
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 PM

that was a lot of rambling, if you would like me to say it in better english let me know
Old 03-20-2007, 03:37 AM

If you care about difficulty, then trimesters are much tougher IMO than semester schools. I have done them both and liked semesters more b/c they were easier although they did drag on a bit. This said, however, if the trimester school is a better school do it for sure. The breaks kinda suck as u wont be off w/ most of your friends but other than that length is relatively the same.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:50 AM

My school sucks balls. There are two semesters and then a one month term in may which is optional, where you take one class. All of the may term classes are completely pointless garbage where you do nothing, except for the majors that require a certain may term, in which case it sucks as you have to do the same thing many hours per day every day. You can easily graduate without going to school in may but they make you pay for both it and your room and board whether you actually go to a class or not.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM

I'm at a trimester school and I really don't like it. We start school almost a month later than all the semester schools, which sucked for the 2 years I lived at home for summer cause you're bored and don't have many people to hang out with. We also start summer vacation a month later, which sucks cause you miss out on the first weeks of everybody coming home and getting hammered/catching up with each other. Also our spring break is completely different, and our winter break is way shorter.
I actually like the academic benefits of trimesters, its way harder to fall behind over your head cause there's less course work per term, and you get more exposure to different subjects.
Overall, I'd rather have semesters.