Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 12:27 AM

Default Stars $11r Hand: QQ UTG vs. BB

I'm really at a lost on this hand. The BB had been pretty loose seeing about a little over a quarter of the flops.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t29845)
CO (t30050)
Button (t11735)
SB (t3135)
BB (t13300)
UTG (t14065)
Hero (t13270)
MP1 (t11225)
MP2 (t11125)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls t800.

Flop: (t2200) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t3600</font>, Hero ???

I certainly think I've got the best hand on the flop, at least before the check-raise. I made a small bet on the flop for value thinking a smaller pair would call me. I also thought that it could be seen as weak and get played back on. So I wasn't completely surprised when he raised. I'm just not sure what my line is here.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Stars $11r Hand: QQ UTG vs. BB

I would fold.

He's raised just enough to commit you so you cant reraise to find out exactly where you stand.
Calling is horrible since he pushes any turn.

Another reason is you say you have a read on villain as LAG. LAGs tend to slowplay their monsters, and lead out when they think the pot can be bought.

If you are sure you're ahead, pushing isnt bad. Villain's reraise on that flop is a little suspect in terms of how large it is, but that could be a combination of reasons. Firstly, he could have picked up on your weak c-bet and decided a check-raise could buy the pot since he figured you didnt have a K, and if you do, you just push over the top of his check raise, allowing him to get away.

All in all, a very confusing hand. I would love to know what the outcome was.

PS. It's 6am here so i apologise in advance if my post is a little incoherent!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 AM

Check raising IS a scary move to be up against, but not on this board. Without more info I think [ QUOTE ]
I also thought that it could be seen as weak and get played back on.

[/ QUOTE ]
is more possible than a king. Especially with no draws out there.
Think about the hand from his point of view. You raised and made a weak continuation bet. There are no draws on the board so if he has a king this is a slowplay scenario.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:12 AM

I would call this bet, then proceed to call down.

Unfortunately, I think he could have almost anything here, but I think calling down maximizes your EV.

By just calling you alllow him to continue to bluff/bet his weaker hands. If you push he'll call with a K, MAYBE 1010/JJ, but if you just call, you're probably doubling through 1010/JJ anyways.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:33 AM

What level ($) is this at? Any reason to think the villan is either very good or very bad?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 AM

You think TT is going to continue his betting if an ace hits? Or if another over such as your queen or a jack comes? I don't disagree with the call down I just don't think the double up is such a sure thing everytime vs TT and JJ
Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You think TT is going to continue his betting if an ace hits? Or if another over such as your queen or a jack comes? I don't disagree with the call down I just don't think the double up is such a sure thing everytime vs TT and JJ

[/ QUOTE ]
hence the "probably"
Old 08-17-2006, 02:30 AM

Against some opponents I would fold, against most (including this opponent) I would call. The only thing I know is that I would never raise here. This is about the most obvious WA/WB situation ever and raising lets him get off a worse hand or a bluff.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:58 AM

I still bet more on the flop. People like to call flop bets with all sorts of crap. that or you could check behind. and then bet turn. I probably call that raise and call down reasonable bets, but it depends.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:37 AM

Hard to say since I don't know how he's been playing post flop but I think calling down is best. A reraise of that size doesn't seem like the best way to play trips and by calling you give him another chance to bluff at the pot or bet with a smaller pair. Pushing the flop is by far the worst option as most hands that we beat should be able to get away while trips or a boat is obviously calling.