Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Lebanese paper: Hamas and Fatah are betraying Arafat\'s legacy

In an editorial in the Lebanese paper The Daily Star, the writer opines that Hamas and Fatah, two competing Palestinian factions, are "betraying Arafat's legacy" and have "marred the anniversary of his death with bloodshed".

Just how can that be? Arafat's career and legacy was and is that of a terrorist who left behind a trail of blood and dead civilians as well as military, and who fostered the culture of corruption and ineptitude that marks the Palestinian Authority and the two factions mentioned above in their dealings with each other, and their stewardship of the resources entrusted to them.

Saying that the violent actions of Hamas and Fatah "betray" Arafat's legacy is akin to maintaining that shedding blood on the anniversary of the execution and death of John Wayne Gacy mars his legacy. The fact is that Hamas and Fatah are in actuality faithfully following in the trail of blood and corruption blazed by Arafat. Their ex-leader taught them well.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Lebanese paper: Hamas and Fatah are betraying Arafat\'s legacy

I think the editorial is waxing nostalgic for the "good old days" when the Palestinians were "united" under Arafat and Fatah. Of course that's an urban myth too. One of the reasons Hamas exists is due to Arafat and Fatah corruption and ineptitude.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM

When that paper writes about Arafat's legacy, they aren't talking about his past as a terrorist, they are disappointed that divisions among the Palestinians are hindering the goal of a Palestinian state. Actually, I think that the division might be the best thing to happen to Mideast peace in a while.

With Hamas largely out of power in the West Bank, Abbas has a chance to get concessions because Israeli leaders can credibly make the case to their constituents that they are not rewarding terrorism. The Israelis also now have the ability to help Abbas weaken the Hamas power base by giving concessions: Gaza residents who see progress in the West Bank are going to start wondering why they aren't getting any goodies.

Of course, the reason why Israel is cracking down on Gaza by closing most border crossings but has a peace conference scheduled with Abbas is that since the split Hamas has become more extreme but Abbas has been working toward compromise. It will be hard for Hamas to hold onto power if the residents of Gaza see that their lot can improve if they stop attacking Israel with a successful West Bank as proof.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When that paper writes about Arafat's legacy, they aren't talking about his past as a terrorist, they are disappointed that divisions among the Palestinians are hindering the goal of a Palestinian state.

[/ QUOTE ]

BluffTHIS! knows this perfectly well. He is just pretending otherwise, thereby engaging in dishonest political debate.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When that paper writes about Arafat's legacy, they aren't talking about his past as a terrorist, they are disappointed that divisions among the Palestinians are hindering the goal of a Palestinian state.

[/ QUOTE ]

BluffTHIS! knows this perfectly well. He is just pretending otherwise, thereby engaging in dishonest political debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot you are such a hack. I do realize that wasn't what they were talking about. My point is that the real legacy of Arafat is precisely terrorism and its victims, and the corruption and inept management that has plagued the PA, and NOT what the writer of that editorial thinks it is.

Keep spinning your BS spin like Cyrus did.