Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Introducing a kid to good music

My son is a lot younger (he's only two) but already I can't stand the kid's music that we've been relegated to listening to. If I hear Raffi sing about a Peanut Butter Sandwich one more time I may hang myself.

On the suggstion of a post in OOT, I started playing The Beatles for him and he really, really digs it. Very melodic (i.e. Yellow Submarine, Good Day Sunshine, Octoupus' Garden, and most of their early stuff - even though I find it boring). I don't think it's ever too young to start introducing kids to quality music, and I'm actually putting together a mix now for him of non-traditional kid's songs that he would enjoy. That is, songs that aren't geared specifically to kids but that are still appropriate.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM

From the day my daughter was born, I NEVER played "children's" music for her. My wife would put on the Wiggles or whatever children's music my kid liked when she was driving the car. But when I was driving, my kid had to listen to whatever I chose.

She's now six and her favorites genres are jazz and classical. She can't stand death metal, though.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM

My brother-in-law (then sister's boyfriend) giving me a copy of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" when I was 12 shaped my musical interests for life.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Even if you can't expect them to like or understand less accessible stuff you play around them, it still has to be a good influence to demonstrate an appreciation for things that are a bit different. Probably the most important thing though is to send the message that it's worth seeking out music/other stuff that speaks to you rather than just settling for what is popular, and I guess just showing a real enthusiasm for checking out new things is a positive influence.

I have a lot of memories of being really bored while my parents spent hours searching for/picking and choosing the right product (from stuff like dragging me around to a bunch of shops because they didnt want to buy a shirt with a visible brand name on it, to taking a while choosing fruit at the supermarket to make sure to only get decent quality fruit) and though as a 5 year old i thought it was stupid and just wanted to get home faster to watch bad tv, i'm obviously now really glad to have been brought up with those values.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 AM

"You don't know "Jungle Love?" That [censored] is the mad notes. Written by God herself and sent down to the greatest band in the world: The mother-[censored] Time."