Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: how to exploit the coming apocalypse?

[ QUOTE ]
Long cockroaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'ed
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all, if the end of the world were to come who cares about investments.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's people like you thinking like this that are really going to miss the boat on some prime investment ideas.

Seriously though, this is addressing not an end of the world apocalypse, but more of a degradation of society. I'll break it down into a spectrum of possible outcomes to clarify what we're talking about here.

Mild Climate Change
If this is your predicted outcome you're going to want to be looking at real estate 5-10 feet above sea level and regions where cold climates are prohibitive to booming property values. I think investing in insurance as has been mentioned is a bad idea, as natural disaster costs will raise faster than people will be willing to increase insurance premiums. Insurance providers are going broke. Heavy duty construction and construction over open water are going to be hot. Think Water World, but not quite as bleak and no Kevin Costner. Maybe invest in houseboat manufacturing.

Collapse of Society
Money now is worth more than money later, but guns now (and later) will be worth more than money later. Stock up. r3vbr did a decent job of describing some of the basic diversification you'll want on post-apocalyptic consumer goods. He didn't clarify you'll want short wave, or 'ham' radios, not a nice boom box for easy listening, although this isn't a bad idea either. If you don't believe me go see Die Hard 4 or Transformers for a detailed analysis.

kaboom! End of the world
This one's easy. Hookers and blow. Racking up credit card debt isn't a bad idea either.

It's cases 1 and 2 that we're talking about. And more so 1 than 2, as 2 has been fairly well documented and thought out by Hollywood, conspiracy theorists and religious nutjobs. Scenario 1 is where there should be some easy money to be made.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:45 PM

THANK YOU. That is what I was getting at.

Already in the UK there are only two types of weather: storm on / storm off. I remember proper seasons and snow that lay.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:38 PM

you might be a bit late, in europe this is gone look at sample for "nordex" or "solarworld" also "phoenix sonnenstrom" made 1000 to 4000% last 2-5 years.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 PM

credit card debt to the max