Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 04-22-2007, 11:14 PM

Default tips with scratches on 360 games

i have a little scratch on my NBA2k7 disc, at exactly 22 seconds into a game the game will say the disc is unreadable. any tips on how to fix it or are you screwed when you get a lil scratch these discs?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: tips with scratches on 360 games

I have yet to have a problem with any scratched next gen games. The only ones i have ever seen not work are 360 games with the ring of death.

I would just try the windex.tissue method and cleaning out your system with compressed air to get dust out.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Is it only that game? I thought my discs were scratched, but it was really that my xbox was messed up. Certain games just stopped working and would constantly freeze. I sent it back and got a new one
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 AM

You can buy a dvd/cd game cleaning kit at any gaming store. Some, like gamecrazy, will also use their industrial strength cleaning machine on any disks you bring in.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 AM

toothpaste.

I moved my 360 the day I got it, actually right after I fired up my new Gears Of War. I carved a huge circular gash in it.

Take the disc, rub a pea sized dab of toothpaste all over it. rinse off thoroughly and pat dry. This'll work w/ the most insanely damaged video games, CDs and DVD's, my boy says it even helps w/ scratched glass on a watch face.

gg scratches.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:54 AM

Here's some info.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
toothpaste.

I moved my 360 the day I got it, actually right after I fired up my new Gears Of War. I carved a huge circular gash in it.

Take the disc, rub a pea sized dab of toothpaste all over it. rinse off thoroughly and pat dry. This'll work w/ the most insanely damaged video games, CDs and DVD's, my boy says it even helps w/ scratched glass on a watch face.

gg scratches.

[/ QUOTE ]

one note on this: do NOT use tartar control toothpaste, as it's very abrasive and will make it worse.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM

I also have used toothpaste successfully on CDs. If it works right, the abrasive in the toothpaste will remove the big scratch and leave behind a bunch of tiny scratches which won't affect playability. It doesn't always work, but since your disc is unreadable now, you've got nothing to lose by trying it.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:05 PM

I tried it and it didnt work, oh well, looks like im gonna have to do the old rent and switch routine with Blockbuster
Old 04-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Some used CD/DVD/Game store will resurface your disc for cheap. Back in the day my buddies GTA3 game was scratched beyond playability, so I asked to borrow it, he said I could have it and I went to the local used game store where they resurfaced it for $3. I would call around to the local stores and see if they do anything like that.

BTW I'm not sure if it's actual resurfacing, it's just what I call it, but the scratches are completely gone and the game plays like new.