Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: First post: Pocket kings on a decent flop

a bet from BB or MP2? I'd call with nobody to act behind me.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:40 PM

Villains could be playing PP's. A turn bet would have to consider protection which would be large enough to leave you pot comitted with TP. Ergo I only see a check or a shove making sense. A shove seems pretty ugly though. I like the check call to a reasonable bet.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 PM

I like the check here to control the pot. The only hands we're really afraid of are 88, quite possible based on the action, or maybe a 54 or 65s. At this level I've seen quite a variety of hands calling pot sized flop bets esp when the board pairs with an underpair. They think you have 2 big cards and are c-betting with blanks. I would definitely be happy to show this hand down without investing too much more, and make sure to take note of what they were calling your flop bet with. You may earn some nice money later on with that info.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:24 AM

gunna go against the grain and say I would bet. They'll raise your turn bet if your beat, and guys at this level are so cally that I wouldn't mind betting again. They probably have a pair of 5s or something similar.

Then again I don't pot flops, so I guess its slightly different for me.

At 25NL I check this every time. I get stacked too often if I bet, yikes :/.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:38 AM

I don't like a check here. If they have 88/55 here, they can get a lot of money from me, but I think we need to bet here. 76s is definitely in their range, as is a passively played 99 from either player. I would bet probably 3.25, it's around 2/3 of the pot and will get called by a lot of hands that you beat. If they raise you, fold. I think we lose a lot of value from pocket pairs or 76s by checking here.

What's our line if BB bets $2-ish and MP flat calls? Are we just gonna fold? Seems really weak. We're ahead right now a LOT, and we wanna get money in. When they start showing aggression, we give up.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 AM

All of this pot control talk is making me sick. It's a great concept in a vacuum and works great in certain spots, but come the hell on here. KK against a couple of measly bets with that board and we're keeping the pot small?

BET....BET....BET.

You are looking for someone to call you down and then fold to your pressure, but a stack-off here is +EV all day long - even with no reads.........

No one with a 5 called preflop here - What are you waiting for?

Get your money in now.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Interesting discussion. My thought process was with Yo'Maha as I made my play. I loved the flop and really thought I was ahead, even when they both called. I coudn't see a 5 calling, pocket 8s maybe, but I figured A8, a pocket pair lower than kings, something like that.

I pushed all in. I had less than the pot, (about $4) BB had a little more and MP2 had a little less. BB said 'you got me'... then called.
MP2 called.

BB had A8, MP2 had 52.

So I lost to trip 5's. I'm glad I posted this, I never really saw checking as an option but I can see why this would be a good move now. Also I think it shows people will call with anything
Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Personally I think that you played fine. You couldnt really expect many 5s out there so it basically left pok 8s. You are ahead most of the time and something like A8, or 99+ will probably call a bet of 2/3 the pot. Im sure that MP2 wont be much of a winner if he keeps playing hands like 52 PF.