Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 AM

Default Tilting

I know that some of you may advocate moving this to psychology, but i'd rather it be here because you guys are my peers and the people that have actually seen me go monkey-tilting, etc.

How long did it (or do you think it will) take you to be able to not get tilted, or when you do, have the self control to stop playing until you are back to normal. I've only been playing poker for 14 months now, and I actually think I was better at not steaming the first 6 months or so as opposed to now.

I've never really done anything stupid because of tilt, but i'm at a point in which I finally have started to maintain a very solid winrate from 2/4-5/10, but every once in a while i'll just completely negate a day or two's profit after I start steaming.

If this post is pointless and whiny, go ahead and tell me so, i'm just genuinely curious as to how the rest of you feel about this and what you do to control it.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Tilting

smoke weed.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 AM

I tilt pretty bad for very extended periods of time, pretty much no easy way to control it, it comes from deep down stuff, basically gotta clear your mind somehow, fix problems outside of poker, don't play at times when you are likely to tilt.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 AM

I'm pretty sure that being prone to tilt has to do not with poker, but with external factors of your personality and such. For instance, I never tilt in an aggressive or angry way, but thats because i'm a pretty mellow dude who rarely gets aggressive/angry in real life.

So, if you have anger issues in everyday life, fix them first.

[ QUOTE ]
smoke weed.

[/ QUOTE ]

also couldnt hurt.

and it helps if you consider online poker to be a video game as opposed to a lot of money moving back and forth from your pockets. unless you are the kind of guy who tilts in video games and flips out and kills everyone around you no matter what team theyre on. then dont use that analogy.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 AM

i'm a really really mellow guy, and when I tilt I don't actually get angry, i just make stupid moves and realize it but do nothing to prevent it...

I do in fact view poker as a video game and the $ is just my score.

I should have clarified that- I also believe that most people steam due to external reasons, yet I can't figure out the source of mine. even poker related tilting makes no sense for me- I'll get 1 outted and just be like "ok, can't do anything about it" but then there was a hand against technologic earlier today where I butchered AA about as badly as you ever could and he got there with QQ and I made a horrendous call on the river when I literally could beat nothing..... that stuff just tilts me like nothing else.

I dunno.

PS- I've never smoked and don't really plan to because I run college cross country and track. While I have no problem with weed as a concept, I just don't really like smoke.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:18 AM

Well, if misplaying a hand tilts you harder than anything else, thats a pretty slippery slope. sounds like you need to slow down when the pot gets big, and think through every decision more thoroughly. if you use up all your time bank thinking and still make a bad decision, then tilt isnt the issue. (probably either you misplayed the hand earlier to put yourself in a bad spot, or you're being outplayed)
Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 PM

I still do it, and I did it in Magic which maybe you can relate to, tilted my way out of my first PT and was depressed for the next 3 months

Also I play Magic Online when tilting and it is good therapy
Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 PM

took me two years...
Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that being prone to tilt has to do not with poker, but with external factors of your personality and such. For instance, I never tilt in an aggressive or angry way, but thats because i'm a pretty mellow dude who rarely gets aggressive/angry in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

untrue in my experience. When I tilt I get crazy aggressive. I am also a mellow dude, never get angry or overreact to anything outside of poker.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:04 PM

i get extremely angry and agressive and pissed off and everything else and i still have not been able to control it. having chat off helps me as does doing something else like eating or chugging a bottle of water and taking a few minutes to walk down the hallway