Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ever schmoked the sticky icky?
Yes 480 77.80%
No 137 22.20%
Voters: 617. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: How many Buyins is your HU SNG bankroll?

Question to the 100 buyin players (there seem to be a good amount of them):

Did you start playing online poker with husng or another form of poker?

How many buyins did you start with?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:12 AM

I started with another form, and get my best results and lowest variance though heads up sngs. I had about a 50 buy in roll for ring games.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Does anyone increase the number of buyins for every level they move up? Not a huge jump but at least a few buyins to pad the expected skill increase. Or is this type of thing already considered in the math? So if you are comfortable with 20 buyins at the $10 SNGs maybe wait until you have 22-25 buyins for the $20 games, etc. I would expect the risk of ruin to increase as you move up and adding the pad should keep it more or less constant. This has probably already been thoroughly discussed and I missed it.

On an everyday basis I am a cash game player but will sometimes take a day or three of SNGs for a change of pace. Those days I'll generally be very conservative since the change of pace is supposed to be a bit of a break. But sometimes if I have cashed out from a site and have very little left I'll go the superaggressive route and play on less than 10 buyins for the challenge of rebuilding the roll from scratch, even if I have only like $14.78 or something odd like that remaining and have to start at the $2 games. The money at those levels means nothing but building from scratch is kind of fun so risk of ruin is essentially meaningless at that point.

I guess it all comes down to why you are playing. If it's for paying bills then being superaggressive is obviously not very smart. If it's to challenge yourself then do whatever you damn well please lol.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 AM

To answer, the 10 up 7 down is based on a 58% wr. I have a 61% at the 6,11, and I don't really know at 22. If you aren't winning at least 58%, you probably shouldn't be moving up anyways.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
players that tout this method are playing like the 20s or 50's,

[/ QUOTE ]
Duh?

As far as I can tell, everybody who's talking about playing 10 BIs has also said that we slow that down when reaching $50s or $100s...

Personally, I've had to rebuild from near-scratch a number of times, but none of those times have had anything to do with being overly aggressive with my bankroll.

At least, not with regards to HUSNGs. I've been a donk with my roll in many other ways that have nothing to do with playing 10BIs at HUSNGs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that that indicates a bankroll in the 200-1k range, which is basically near-busto!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:53 AM

One thing that no one has discussed yet is the type of player you are. If losing a significant portion of your roll (10%) causes you to tilt heavily, than playing with 10 buyins is a horrible idea for you. If you have a relatively good handle on your tilt (unlike me), than this (few buyin bankroll)is probably the most profitable method for a winning player.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:57 AM

working to be great, how bad is your tilt.

I always been under the impression that your long term wr includes tilty games, bad streaks, hot rushes, and all the "abmornal" things. The prior list is actually listed as normalcy.

Do you really tilt so hard that you lose 20 buy ins often?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:21 AM

I skipped over a lot of this thread so it may have been said already, but how willing you are to risk going busto is probably the biggest factor you should be dealing with.

I started with a $300 BR but I had thousands in the bank. I was doing 10 BI but if I busted it wouldn't have impacted my standard of living. If you are playing for a living and going by 10 BI you are crazy.

I voted 30 because it seems correct for the typical player.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 AM

i like between 40-50 buyins. at the 6.25 and the 11 what i play now my winrate is extremely high so probably 20 buyins is enough but im trying to get good bankrollmanagement

whatever you say, 10 buyins isnt good, u will go busto someday
Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone increase the number of buyins for every level they move up? Not a huge jump but at least a few buyins to pad the expected skill increase. Or is this type of thing already considered in the math?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 2 reasons why people with very aggressive bankroll-strategies have higher buy-in requirements the higher they play:

1) On higher levels the money starts becoming more important to them, and they realize they would play scared with few buy-ins.

2) The higher they play, the lower their winrate is and the more buy-ins are recommended by the Kelly criterion.

[ QUOTE ]
whatever you say, 10 buyins isnt good, u will go busto someday

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play with the number of buy-ins the Kelly criterion tells you to, you won´t go busto even if Kelly recommends 7 buy-ins at some stages.

If you take money out of the bankroll, then you get a risk of ruin when using the Kelly criterion.