Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Bad beat days

Lets say that you have been playing extremely well for a few hour period, but in this period you are still down due to suckouts. Knowing that you can beat the "field" where you are at, even tho having bad luck through suckouts, would you still keep playin after losing half your roll or more(for that expected period of play, i.e. bringing 1000 and losin 500 of it)? In Real life situations and online.

Im playin on FTP right now, 95% of the hands i play to extract chips out of other players (i'm getting proper pots odds, or usually the case im know im ahead in the hand) i am ahead and tending to play well enough to give them bad odds (know where they are at and how to bet to extract most chips), however, i cant seem to win. About every 45 min (or less, in this one 10$ tourney i was 2outerd 3 different times in an hour) i get into big hands which im 90%+ to win, and i lose them hard. Because of this i lost my entire 50$ stack that i had my bro put in (i was playin .25/.50NLHE and 5$ sngs). I had been sitting down at .25/.50 with 25$ while playing in 5$ 45ppl sngs, i managed to build like this to over 200$ in a 2 hour period, then lose it all in the past 5 hours. My last 50$ went to a .25/.50 table, i had lost 75$ there already due to sick suckouts(KKvsKQ , QQvsAQ, 10-10vs 9-9) and was 100% sure i'd get my money back as long as i wasn't sucked out..... i was right, but then again i was sucked out.

Last hand was follows.

SB-.25($60.00)(??)
BB(hero)-.50($96.50)(AA)
UTG-($140)fold (??)
UTG+1(villan)-(154.50$)raise(5$)(KK)
UTG+2- ($122)-fold(??)
Button-($230)fold

My reads: Villan was playing fairly solid poker, not tight, but not loose either. Hand that he won against me to bust me was a flip(he took my last 20$), he flopped A flush draw, and i had TPTK, he won it and took my chips, i bought in right away for my last 50$ and was doin well.

Well after he popped it up to 5$, i re-raised to 16.66, he called it.

Flop-2s-2c-7h(pot=34$)

I check, he bets 20$, i "think" about it till timer hits and call.

Turn-2h(pot=74$)

I think here for a bit, i knew here that he knew i had a strong hand, he might put me on aces if i bet too much or too little, and he might have [censored] himself and was tryin to steal flop.

So i bet 25$ hopin for call and beggin for raise, and then he pushes me all in for my last 35. I call. He shows his kings and im very happy for maybe .00000001 seconds, then i have a vision of a king hitting and i knew i was [censored].............

River-K

I cant say i was tilting here, i got all my chips in with the best, but i was having really bad luck. I know i shoulda left, and not played that high of stakes, but i knew i could beat that game and knew it would be good as long as i wasn't majorly sucked out. I guess you can say i was tilting, due to playing last 50$ at a .25/.50, but, ohwell, it was a good use of 50$(my starting 50$ that i got my brother to put into my account).

Back to the Freeplay for me for awhile, need to see more hands yet, maybe in about another 10k hands or so i'll try a much more conservative cash run.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Bad beat days

[ QUOTE ]
i got all my chips in with the best

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played. That's all that matters.
As long as the suck outs weren't putting you on tilt, keep playing.
Easy to say, I know.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Bad beat days

You need a bigger bank roll. Bad downswings are standard, even if playing well.

Your last $50 should not be at a .25/.50 table. Even if you are far better than everyone else there, because suckouts happen and your stack can't take the variance.

You could lose your entire bankroll in one bad beat, and bad beats happen. You have to account for that in bankroll management.