Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Scoring Goals on FIFA 08

I was a decent player at last year's FIFA, but this year, I can't seem to score at all ... anyone have any tips?

I can get to the corner fairly easily, but the headers miss the net all the time. I'm not using the trick moves much yet b/c I haven't gotten used to them, is that the way to score? Should I be taking long range shots?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Scoring Goals on FIFA 08

Taking it down to the touchline and cutting it back with pass instead of cross has worked best for me. Also on corners try tapping head instead of holding it. The best way to score long range shots is in full stride holding turbo when you have absolutely no one in front of you because for some reason getting blocked is super easy.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking it down to the touchline and cutting it back with pass instead of cross has worked best for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me this is by far the easiest way to score. If done properly, your striker will be left with a tap in.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a decent player at last year's FIFA, but this year, I can't seem to score at all ... anyone have any tips?

I can get to the corner fairly easily, but the headers miss the net all the time. I'm not using the trick moves much yet b/c I haven't gotten used to them, is that the way to score? Should I be taking long range shots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Utilize the players that are making runs or create the play yourself like I do by using LB on the 360.

Online, a lot of players close down way too quickly. This will allow you to split the center backs easily . . .

Also, utilize all passing options. What I mean is by using lobbed through balls or ground crosses. Most players online just head for the byline and cross it in. This is so easy to defend since its obvious what the player is trying to do.

If a player quickly closes down on you, just lob it over his head if you have someone onside and looking for the through ball. I don't mean punt it over his head . . .

. . . just a simple lob. You'd be amazed how often this works. Another tip, don't always sprint. This will cause your to passes to be less accurate. Don't dwell on the ball but just take it easy and allow those channels to open up themselves . . .
Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to score long range shots is in full stride holding turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say turbo, I assume you mean "sprint" right? I've had the opposite occur. My players seem to be less accurate when using sprint while shooting or passing. I suggest you try getting over that old habit. It was difficult for me to break as well.

When I'm playing NBA2K8, I'm having a difficult time actually using turbo due to my recent FIFA binge.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another tip, don't always sprint.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is important. If you try to sprint past defenders, you will struggle to control the ball and lose possesion. Learning how to control the speed of the game to your advantage is huge in Fifa 08.

In previous football (soccer) games, it was pretty much possible to win with the sprint button held down permanently.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM

Agreed. Lay off the sprint.

Also, check out the kicking abilities of your players before you play...don't take any long shots with crap players it will never work
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 PM

finesse shots from just outside the box work and running down the side and using A to pass into the box work best for me. Mainly the second option, since that pass seems to go through several defenders and your striker is pretty open.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Crossing from the baseline works fine for me, like it has in previous FIFA games. although it works less. The only thing I do different now (because I read the booklet for some reason) is tap square twice because it makes the pass not go so high. This could've been there in previous FIFA games but I just found out.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Crossing from the baseline works fine for me, like it has in previous FIFA games. although it works less. The only thing I do different now (because I read the booklet for some reason) is tap square twice because it makes the pass not go so high. This could've been there in previous FIFA games but I just found out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, when crossing from the baseline, I always use the low cross. Don't forget the ground cross either. It's useful for teams that have poor heading ability.