Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Heisman Rankings

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you do include USC (and why wouldn't you), the Pac-Ten has 3 of the last 5 Heisman trophies. The SEC which is supposedly the conference everyone favors only has 1 Heisman winner in the last 20 years (Danny Wuerffel). The idea that people still talk about West-Coast bias as if it's relevant to the modern-day is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bias isn't what it used to be, but I think it's still there. Just for the fact that the west coast doesn't get as much exposure. There is bias in voting still. See Notre Dame. Brady Quinn was 3rd for heisman? Yeah right. It can be a popularity contest. Also, God knows why Jason White got one.

The Pac is also known as USC and the 9 other teams which is why I could care less about USC's heismans.

Again, I'd like to see Dixon or Stewart get it, but we'll see. I think they both should be strong runners. Which, again, could hurt both of them.

b
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sad thing is I find the Heisman one of the stupider awards given that it is an individual award that heavily factors in a team's record and status

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else notice that the U of Oregon took out an ad on ESPN before their game hyping him for the Heisman?

What do you thing that cost to run, a little 30 second spot...

And where did the cash come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Knight

[/ QUOTE ]
One nice thing about being an Oregon fan is I get to see my favorite team's logo basically any time I watch any sporting event. Even our opponents put our logo on their jersies:

Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Dennis Dixon
2. Darren McFadden
3. Chase Daniel-Todd Reesing-Sam Bradford

that's all for now

oh yeah, Mike Hart for most overrated player--just look at the lack of production drop off with him out

[/ QUOTE ]

Have things changed a bit?

1)Tebow
2)Dixon
3)Everyone else

That said, I think DD is going to win because he isn't a sophmore & he has the better games left. If the Gators slip in to the SECCG, then Tebow will have a better shot.

-Mock vote by Heisman voters:
"One voter who submitted a ballot with Tebow at the top said he expected to move him down because he didn't think the award should go to an underclassmen ahead of a senior who won't have another shot."

Unreal, award is obviously rigged regardless.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Right now my ballot is:
1) Dennis Tebow
2) Tim Dixon
3) There are other candidates?

TT definitely has the better overall stats, but I think the fact that DD has much better running backs is the primary reason for that. He gets fewer passing yards because Oregon runs the ball more as a team, and he gets fewer rushing yards (and TDs) because Oregon can have Jonathan Stewart handle a lot of those carries. Also, DD has done it despite massive injuries to his receiving corps. All those are reasons why TT shouldn't automatically win it because of better stats. They are NOT reasons why DD should be ahead of TT. Right now it's completely neck and neck.

I do agree that it's ridiculous (but true) that the deciding factor will probably be team records and Senior vs. Sophomore. If you factor those things in, and look at who actually *will* win, not who *should*, DD probably is still the clear favorite at the moment. It should be neck and neck though.

Meh, I won't complain too much if the QB on my favorite team takes home the trophy by default, even if the system is flawed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3) There are other candidates?

[/ QUOTE ]

kansas and missouri have one loss combined. and their QB's are top 20 in passing yards. not sure how much consideration they'll get. daniel has been getting some recognition and kansas QB (rissling?? i can never remember) will start to get some..... might throw in pat white too. would be better if he hadn't been injured, and they hadn't lost to SF.

if you cut tebow slack for 3 losses, then there's tons of great statistical RB, QB and WR who deserve tons of consideration..

but given it's some weird popularity contest, we have what we have.....
Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 AM

There are tons of great statistical players, but not many who mean anywhere NEAR as much to their team as Dixon or Tebow. It depends on whether you view the Heisman as being an MVP equivalent or not, but if you do, it's hard to find anyone who compares favorably to Dixon and Tebow. Well, unless you look at the mid-majors, but we obviously don't care about THEM, this is the HEISMAN TROPHY!!! Yeah, anyway, Daniel and Riessling are definitely both good, and deserve some consideration, but right now I think they're a little bit back still. Neither of them has shown quite the tendency to just take over a game completely like Dixon or Tebow each have on multiple occasions, imo.

I was being facetious with my #3 though, obviously there ARE other candidates. I think as of right now the gap between two and three is pretty big though.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 AM

fair enough on the mid-major comment. i have to concur. smith with UCF or tulane RB don't realistically deserve much consideration...

but check out what chase daniel means to missouri. check our their record before he started there (actually i guess they were o.k. with brad smith)... but seriously, i'd say his importance to missouri >>> than that of tebow or dixon to their teams. i mean, florida won the national title last year with another QB and now has 3 losses. so let's over-estimate tebow's impact.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:34 AM

Daniel is a pretty huge player for Missou. Tebow is basically the entire Florida offense though, while Oregon has one of the best offenses in the country and having watched all of their games this year I can definitely say that this is due very heavily to Dixon's fantastic decision making and ability to control the offense. I think those two are definitely a step ahead of anyone else. Then again I haven't watched Daniel almost at all this year, I very well might not be giving him enough credit. I don't think I'm over-estimating Tebow, but I acknowledge I could well be under-estimating Daniel. As well as some other people who probably deserve to be in the discussion.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tebow is basically the entire Florida offense though

[/ QUOTE ]

tebow has been amazing. has great talent with him though too. harvin especially. but given the lack of emphasis on the tailback, tebow does play a huge role, i concur.

i think it's absolutely amazing that kansas/missouri will likely be meeting in 2 weeks with one loss combined.. they are in the mediocre Big 12 North, i will point that out. you could argue that with K not playing okla, tx and either TAM or TT (can't remember) that it's somewhat special situation...

good chatting with you about it... seems we both have a huge passion for NCAAF. too bad it's only a couple more weeks.