Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Getting started in kettlebell training

I'm seriously considering getting started in it.
So what does a beginner need?
I was told a 16kg kettlebell and "Enter the Kettlebell" by pavel.

Is this the best book on kettlebell training? Is it complete on it's own? (I've heard you have to buy "power to the people" to go with it.)

Is the one kettlebell enough? or will I end up having to buy several?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Getting started in kettlebell training

start with 1, see if you like it, if you can borrow one from someone do that first, 2 is really great though, but first see if you like it, i learned a lot more from mike mahler than from pavel, check out his site.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm seriously considering getting started in it.
So what does a beginner need?
I was told a 16kg kettlebell and "Enter the Kettlebell" by pavel.

Is this the best book on kettlebell training? Is it complete on it's own? (I've heard you have to buy "power to the people" to go with it.)

Is the one kettlebell enough? or will I end up having to buy several?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends what your goals are. For the average guy, a 1 pood is fine for doing higher rep ballistics, and okay for doing the lower rep grinds. There are also more difficult drills where a 1 pood is certainly fine.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM

There is a big kettlebell thread that was started in OOT a couple years back. Strongly recommend looking it up. I think something about Drink the Kool-Aid or however you spell it was in the title.

Enter the Kettlebell is fine, but get it at Amazon, where it is steeply discounted, not from Pavel's site. The RKC book has more variety. I also highly recommend Steve Cotter's DVD's. Check his website for some video samples of some of the cool and really tough stuff he does with them, like duck walks, dragon walks, towel swings, and doing multiple things at once! Really inspiring.

The 1 pood(35 pounds) KB is a must for learning tricky overhead manuevers like the windmill that you will find as you go through kettlebell materials of various sorts. It is also very good to have to learn things that are trickier than basic presses, like the clean and jerk, the swing, etc. You will benefit from using heavier weights with these latter exercises, but there is a knack to kettlebells(that is actually very fun to learn), and a light one at first will help you feel and learn it.

A man of virtually any strength level will quickly outgrow the 1 pood. The average guy gets along well with the 1 1/2 pood, the one that weighs about 53 pounds. This should last you a while.

One important note: dragondoor KB's aren't the only ones out there. They are nice, but very pricey. A smart way to buy from that source is to go to e-bay, where they have their own store. You can sometimes get them 1/3 to 1/2 off, which is pretty significant when it comes to stuff this pricey. I'd advise starting to watch the auctions daily for a week at least to see where the good prices are. There will always be some numb nuts who pays top dollar, but it doesn't have to be you.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM

JTB's oot thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM

op, thanks for reminding me about these...I just ordered one and it should be here in a day or two. That oot thread has all the info you need. Pretty stoked to add these into my routine.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 AM

https://www.lifeline-usa.com/product...;productid=129

Anybody have experience with the KB's I linked above? They are Lifeline KB's and are the ones Mike Mahler endorses on his website. Taking into account the shipping costs when comparing these to dragon door KB's, it looks like you can save a significant amount by ordering from Lifeline. Blarg, AZK, anyone else have experience with these? If so, what are your thoughts? Mahler says the only difference b/w Lifeline and Dragon Door KB's is that the Lifeline's handles are slightly larger that DD's and they also don't have the gloss finish - which Mahler says is an advantage b/c they are less likely to slip. Scroll down to the "Where do I get kettlebell's" Q for Mahler's opinion on the different KB's on the market.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 AM

K2 fitness

I ordered a 16kg from here and I like it better than Dragon Door's. If you want a dragon door kettlebell go to the forum at dragondoor.com or google and search for an RKC instructor in your area. They get them in bulk and sell them sometimes. I did this and got my 1.5 pood KB for $100 no shipping.

For OP I would reccomend doing Enter the kettlebell. If you stick to the program you will see great results.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
https://www.lifeline-usa.com/product...;productid=129

Anybody have experience with the KB's I linked above? They are Lifeline KB's and are the ones Mike Mahler endorses on his website. Taking into account the shipping costs when comparing these to dragon door KB's, it looks like you can save a significant amount by ordering from Lifeline. Blarg, AZK, anyone else have experience with these? If so, what are your thoughts? Mahler says the only difference b/w Lifeline and Dragon Door KB's is that the Lifeline's handles are slightly larger that DD's and they also don't have the gloss finish - which Mahler says is an advantage b/c they are less likely to slip. Scroll down to the "Where do I get kettlebell's" Q for Mahler's opinion on the different KB's on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like wider handles. I had a KB made by I think Powermax, a 35 pounder(1 pood) that had a really thick handle and I liked it very much. It was also much cheaper, especially as to the shipping costs, which is where DD really kills you. They've managed to find a way to make the shipping cost as much as the bell sometimes -- and their bells are expensive! Got my Powermax thru Amazon btw.

As to the finish on DD bells, I got my last one almost a year ago, so I don't know if the finishes are any different by now. I don't think the ones I have are too slippery at all. Also, that's kind of a non-issue if you are willing to sand your bell handles, as lots of people do. Or use chalk, or just keep a towel around to wipe your hands on every once in a while. I don't think that's really a particularly good criticism on Mike's part. That said, I do like the rougher finish on my powermax just fine, and I may even prefer it. Just on the handles, though. I like the high-quality paint elsewhere.

What does seem like a legit criticism is Mike's pointing out how thin the handles are on the women's KB's. I also don't like that, as I recall, some of them have the handles that look more triangular and are flat across the gripping part, with narrow ends on the gripping part of the handles. This seems much worse for hand comfort.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Wow I had no idea you could get them so cheap from instructors, good tip, quadzilla.