Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 02:34 PM

Default about to be fired by my temp ageny for their screw up??? LONG

I am about to be fired by my temp agency from a new job I just started last month.

The setup: I was hired last month to a temp position with a company I really enjoy working for and am doing well at the job but I have had many problems with the temp agency I am working for.

Problem 1: While doing a background check on me they were unable to verify payroll at my last position due to a clerical error on that company's part. When they threatened to pull me off the assignment for this reason I had to threaten to file a wrongfull termination claim before they actually did some investigating and got the info they needed.

Problem 2 : they screwed up my address in payroll they put my correct street adress but put the city of where i last worked not where I live so my paychecks have been roaming around New Jersey going to non-existant adresses again due to no fault of my own.

When i called to correct this problem the payroll company they use told me they cannot correct the problem because the info I was giving them does not match what the temp agency gave them.

I have waited almost 4 weeks for a paycheck when I am supposed to be paid weekly.

I had to borrow $$$ from friends and family toget back back and forth to work plus I am late paying my rent and have burned up all minutes on my cell phone fixing these problems.

They finally correct the addy and decide they are going to overnight me the paychecks I am owed.

Without consulting me they sent the checks out overnight UPS which of course does me no good unless someone is actually there to sign for them. So I told the company I am temping at the situation on Monday night and they said they understoood and that they have no problem with me missing tuesday since I cannot borrow any more $$$ to get back and forth plus I need to pay my landlord the rent. At this point I have gotten so frustrated with the temp agency i don't even bothering returning their calls when they leave me messages ( I cannot answer the calls directly b/c i burned all my minutes trying to resolve these problems in the 1st place)

Soooo today I get to work and have a few free minutes before work and I check my messages from the temp agency. One of them is from my contact there telling me not to come to work today but to call her instead. So I call her immeadiately and she asks if I am at work> I tell her yes and she asks me to call her on her cell when I get off from work tonight because she doesn't want to talk to me while I am "on the clock" I tell her I don't actually start for another 1/2 hour and we can talk now if she wants. She says "no I would rather talk to you while you are not onsite" So obviously this temp agency is planning on firing me because I was not able to show up for work one day because THEY NEVER PAID ME!!!!!

I get along very well with all the managers here and they all understand the situation I was in and I feel they would like me to stay on.

My question is wat is my play here before I leave work for the day? Should I go to the one manager I inte4viewed with and see if they will hire me directly? I don't want to lose this job b/c I really like it and desperately need the $$$$

OOT to the rescue!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: about to be fired by my temp ageny for their screw up??? LONG

Definitely talk to the company you're working for about getting hired directly. If they try to fire you you could run some BS line about complaining to the Department of Labor or the state wage & hour division about them not paying you on time. I'm not a lawyer and not well-versed in such matters, but not paying you for 4 weeks is really sketchy and might be illegal. I doubt anything would come of it, but you might be able to alarm the right person.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 PM

I don't really understand what happened here, but temp agencies can be pretty sketchy and you need to get your [censored] together.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Don't sweat it.

IF, the company you are working for really likes you, then yes talk about them hiring you, but I don't think this is going to happen since you are a temp.

However, the company probably works with multiple temp agencies. The temp company you are working for has broken it's contract with you since they have been unable to pay you in a timely manner.

So just find out what other temp agencies the company works with, and switch over to some other agency that is capable of issuing paychecks to you in a timely manner. This temp agency will bitch about it, but they have broken their terms of agreement so ignore them.

Show up for work. This dispute is between you and the agency and not the company you are doing work for. Keep them out of it. They probably don't care if they pay agency ABC or XYZ for your services, so just change agencies.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:49 PM

Speak with the hiring manager and summarize the details.

Find out three things.

- Would they like to hire you as a FTE?
- How large is their relationship with this contract company?
- Is there another contract company onsite you can be folded into?

If 'no, large, no"....document your troubles & wait to be fired.

Any other answer should make your course of action obvious.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely talk to the company you're working for about getting hired directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if your new company LOVES you that could be more troublesome than it sounds... if the company you are working for does hire you permanently they have to pay an obscene amount of money to the temp agency... like 30% of your first year gross pay... it is possible to negotiate that down, but some companies won't wanna deal with the hassle or cost...

also, your temp agency will never fire you for missing a day unless the company u are working for complained so there must be something else going on...

I'm not really sure what's goin on... somethin definitely seems "off"...

gl and hope it works out
Old 01-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Are companies allowed to hire people who are fired from temp agencies?
If so, it may be better to get fired by the temp agency and get hired directly by the company.
This way, they dont have to pay the 30% salary crap.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are companies allowed to hire people who are fired from temp agencies?
If so, it may be better to get fired by the temp agency and get hired directly by the company.
This way, they dont have to pay the 30% salary crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope no good.. in your temp contract it says yer not allowed to work for any of the companies you have ever been placed with for like 6 months after u leave the temp agency

edit - it MIGHT even be that yer not allowed to work for any company the agency has a contract with regardless of whether you ever had an assignment there or not... don't remember
Old 01-12-2007, 03:28 PM

This doesn't make sense. If the company likes you the temp agency won't care if you missed one day. As long as you are working the agency gets paid. They won't want to go through the hassle of getting someone new unless the company wants you gone.

Full time employment won't be an option unless the company wants to buy out your contract. These terms are different from agency to agency but, you won't be able to go FT without the agency getting something.

Are you sure she is going to fire you?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:40 PM

"Are you sure she is going to fire you?"

If they were not going to fire me I don't think they wuld've left me a message telling me not to come in today and then not want to talk to me b/c I am at the job site