FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: **Atlanta Braves offseason thread

Hudson pitched pretty well last year.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Glavine signed for 8 million according to wsb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know little about MLB free agency, did the Mets offer arbitration?

[/ QUOTE ]

They haven't yet, but they will for sure now. The arb deadline is the first week in December.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They haven't yet, but they will for sure now. The arb deadline is the first week in December.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, well good, as long as Glavine declines the arb, but knowing him he'll accept just to spite the Mets. I want those grade A FA draft picks.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens then? Atlanta lose a draft pick right?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I could've, but I am a big believer in rewarding someone when they do something right and punishing someone when they do something wrong. Unfortunately there's too little punishing in society so I try to make up for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an incredibly douchey comment. This is a goddamn sports forum on a discussion board.

[/ QUOTE ]

IME I've learned people who actually use the word "douche" and "douchebag" are retards not worth the time of day.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

OK, let's try other words you might not have a problem with: smug, arrogant, elitist, bitchy....

For the record, the poster you were originally mocking was closer on what might actually happen to this team than you might believe. First, it is indeed a possibility that Anderson is the short term replacement for Andruw at CF. Just something to bridge the gap until Schafer or Lillibridge is ready. That was partly the motivation for completing the deal. Frank Wren himself stated that if there were no other options for a one year replacement, and if you have looked at the market for CF'ers there may not be, Anderson may very well slide into the slot on opening day. He will certainly compete for it.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...116.html?imw=Y

Second, people are saying Chipper is selfish. You disagree. Did John Smoltz of all people not insinuate that when he called out Chipper for taking too much time off for his "injuries". I am guessing that Smoltz knows Chipper better than you do. I recall that the time when that happened last summer was right before Chipper was about to take himself out of the lineup again, while the team was reeling, and go back on the DL for some other "Chipper" injury. I also recall that the very next day of the confrontation Chipper decided that he may not have needed to go on the DL, and promptly hit a home run that game and proceeded to go on one of the biggest second half tears of his career. Again, all with an injury that may have forced him to go on the DL had Smoltz not called him out.

I personally think that Chipper is undoubtedly one of the greatest hitters of the last 20 years and a sure-fire HOFer. I also don't know if Chipper is "selfish", but is it really so far-fetched to believe that he might be?

Basically, get your facts straight before you start making "douchey" comments.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens then? Atlanta lose a draft pick right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. When a team signs a type A or B player before the arb deadline, their former team always offers arbitration and recieves draft pick compensation.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 AM

I thought MLB teams couldn't give away draft picks, and that the Mets in this case would get a compensatory pick at the end of the round without the Braves giving up anything. Am I wrong?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought MLB teams couldn't give away draft picks, and that the Mets in this case would get a compensatory pick at the end of the round without the Braves giving up anything. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only if the Braves have a protected pick (in the top half of the draft). I doubt they do.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 AM

The Braves I think pick #18, but don't quote me. Also, I could have sworn that Mark Bowman (Braves MLB.com writer) said that the Braves would absolutely not have to give up a first round pick, only a sandwich pick, but I keep hearing that we will from everywhere else. I have no idea who to believe.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 AM

Type As mean you give up a pick (1st if not top 15, 2nd if top 15), and the other team also gets a sandwich pick from the league. Type B just gets the latter.