Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Pick the five sporting events you wish you had seen in person

If you had a time machine and could go back in time to witness five live sporting events in person, which ones would you choose. You can choose based on whatever criteria are important to you. Post video links if you have them.

Here are my five selections, in no particular order.

1980 Olympic Hockey team

Jesse Owens -- 1936 Berlin Olympics

Secretariat in the 1973 Belmont

Nicklaus wins the 1986 Masters at age 46 --This video is horrendous but it was the only one I could find.

Punt Bama Punt -- I admittedly chose this only because I am a huge Auburn fan. In this game #1 ranked Bama was up 16-3 with five minutes to go in the fourth quarter, only to have Auburn block two punts in a row and return both for TDs for the 17-16 victory.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Pick the five sporting events you wish you had seen in person

Ok, I'll pick ones that you didn't:

Game 4 or 5 of the '04 ALCS

That day in Hawaii they rode the biggest waves ever surfed

Bobby Thompson's shot heard round the world

Joe Louis over Schmelling in the 2nd fight

Boise State over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl last year

(Hometown pics)

Chiefs SB win in 1970

Royals over Cards in game 6 of the '85 WS
Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 PM

The 70 world cup final

superbowl XX(I'm from chicago, sue me)

all of the 92 dream team matches from teh barcelona olympics

WHen Jimmy Connors had that run to the semis in the US Open(forget which year)

Game 5 of the 75 WS

gonna add a 6th

the 99 Champions League Final in Barcelona

it's hard to do just 5 as there could be so many baseball and soccer moments that would just be amazing to have been at
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 PM

Rocky I-V
Old 09-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Guys,

I think list threads generally suck. And this one seems very close to turning into "List your five top sports moments of all time" or some such crap. A perfectly great thread for Sports Forum.

So, I'm pretty close to locking it.

But, I do think it could be pretty cool if people actually write a little bit about why certain sports events would have been so important to them. Like, you were a huge fan of some player and never saw him play, then he got injured and retired early. Or whatever. So, think about that in responses. I think the thread will be better with one or two events described like that rather than just listing out 5 badass sporting moments you didn't see.

Any Appalachian State grads out there? I figure you guys have one entry covered.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 70 world cup final

superbowl XX(I'm from chicago, sue me)

all of the 92 dream team matches from teh barcelona olympics

WHen Jimmy Connors had that run to the semis in the US Open(forget which year)

Game 5 of the 75 WS

gonna add a 6th

the 99 Champions League Final in Barcelona

it's hard to do just 5 as there could be so many baseball and soccer moments that would just be amazing to have been at

[/ QUOTE ]

with the 70 WC final, you have quite possibly the greatest soccer team of all time at its complete best making an excellent Italian team look amateur. I haven't seen the complete final, but have seen various clips, and the football that the 70 brazil team plays is utterly breathtaking, and to be at the final in Mexico City would be such a surreal experience

I'm a bears fan born and bred. While the game itself wasn't much of a game, it was the greatest bears team of all time just putting a straight up ass whooping on the patriots. Not to mention that partying in the Big Easy afterwards would be such an experience

the 92 dream team is almost self explainitory. It was tons of fun just watching them on TV play basketball about 10 levels above the competition. I really don't think that any US team will be better then this one ever again

I'm not much of a tennis fan, but I just remember how awesome it was watching Connors' run on TV and just hearing how amazing the crowd was. Here you had a legend that was making one final run in a major championship and every point just seemed so important

what can one say about game 5 of the 75 WS that hasn't already been said. You have a boston hero hit the game winning home run for the team he loved growing up. The crowd just seemed so electric and being there for that Fisk Home Run would just be something so imbedded in your mind til the day you die

I'm a Manchester United fan, and the finish to this Champions League final was almost too much. The entire game we were having problems breaking down the Bayern Defense and Peter Schmeichel was at the top of his game for his final game for ManU. And then, stoppage time happened. Two goals from corners in the matter of minutes to take home the treble, I was watching it and was completely out of breath. I could also imagine how amazing the celebrations in Barcelona were afterwards and that would've been just as amazing as the finish of the match
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any Appalachian State grads out there? I figure you guys have one entry covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appalachian Law recruited me pretty hard. I'm regretting my decision not to attend.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 PM

Game 4 of 2005 World Series.... cuz I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the White Sox.

Miracle on ice would have been really cool... not a huge hockey fan, but that event was so huge, to have seen it live would have been great. (I do remember watching the Olympics that year on TV....most 2+2ers were probably too young, or not even born yet.

Super Bowl XX---- Da Bears dominate the Pats.... if not for that early fumble giving the Pats a FG, the Bears could have shut out the Pats. Ditka would have left the starters in longer.

Boise State vs OK last year. I love Boise State cause they rack up so many points and cover so many spreads for me. To see them take out a powerhouse with the gutsiest call in BCS history would have been great.

Jimmy V wins the NCAA Tourney.... big upset, historic, pandemonium ensued.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 PM

in 2004-2005 illinois had one of the best teams in the country. in the elite 8 we had one of the best comebacks in ncaa basketball history - down 15 points with 4:04 remaining we came back to win.

The game was played in the suburbs of Chicago, 15 minutes from my house. I was going to go buy some scalped tickets with a friend when we heard they were going for $250+ per ticket. Now, $250 is a lot of money, but I was playing 5k and 10knl online at the time so it wasn't like I couldn't afford it.

We ended out saying screw it, and just going to a party and watching it. I'll always regret not going to that game and I've pretty much learned my lesson that if something is really important to me (i'm fanatical about illini bball) i'm not going to be extremely nitty about having to pay top dollar for it.

The illini went on to the final 4 - I got skybox tickets with a friend and had one of the best times of my life that weekend. I learned my lesson, but I still wish I had attended that elite 8 game.

tc
Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 AM

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant Wrestlemania III along with 90,000 other Hulkamaniacs.