Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Default 10/20 live. Flopped TP/TK.

Sorry, if this hand is unintersting to most HSNL players. But this is live, so I was playing higher than usual.

Villian is fairly loose, but does not get to out of line. I do not think he has much postflop skill, from what I have seen, and might be new to poker.

Effective stacks 100 BB. Villian raises to 80 from MP, and I repop to 240 from the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The games is running 6 handed.

Flop comes down 4 2 J, two spades. Villian bets 300. I am ahead of most of his range, and elect to call. I figure if I raise, his calling range has me beat, and I can avoid losing a big pot, by calling and evaluating on later streets. IMO, he calls my raise with 22,44,JJ, AA-QQ, and maybe some draws/combo draws. So, I call, figuring to have the best hand. Thoughts? Does anyone like a raise here, and why?

Turn card is a non-spade 7. Villian bets 800 into the about 1100 dollar pot. I have about 1500 remaining. Call? Push? Fold? What makes you choose that option? If you call, do you call a river push?

Thanks a lot for your help! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: 10/20 live. Flopped TP/TK.

call pf.

call flop.

call turn.

fold river if he bets.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM

Yeah, reraise preflop seems bad unless you know you will be in good shape against the range he calls the reraise with. Much easier to just play against his raising range.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:42 PM

put the rest in
Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 AM

I probably push, but have a feeling that you got ai and was shown QQ.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 AM

just shove of course
Old 10-04-2007, 06:35 AM

The preflop reraise with a hand as weak as AJ offsuit was bad. Against a loose opponent, why would you want to play a large pot without a hand big enough to justify such a course of action?

Anyway, once he calls the preflop reraise and fires at the flop, your time for "re-evaluating" is not the turn, but rather is now. Unless he is one of those people who believes somehow that AK and AQ is the nuts, it is unlikely he has anything you are beating. (Having already taken your hand too far, I suppose there are those who would advocate raising this flop in order to try to knock him off an overpair or a draw. Unfortunately, most opponents are not folding QQ - AA here, and so this might be futile if indeed that is what he has.)

O.K., so now you have committed another $300 to a pot where it is unlikely you were ahead once he called your reraise preflop.... so now, 25% of your stack is in the pot, and the turn has just blanked.

By calling the turn, the only hand you are representing that makes any sense is a set of jacks. By raising the turn, it looks like an overpair or not much at all. Thus, it would seem to me that if your opponent is paying attention, and can beat the board, he will fire again on the river if you call the turn, and will call if you shove the turn.

Either way, of course, you are in bad shape without a miracle.

I guess this is a long way of saying that by reraising preflop, you managed to build a large pot without having a really good hand.... and this is not sound strategy.

TK
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 PM

thinkards is right. If you are going to just call preflop,and check call flop you have no idea where you are in the hand. You will be stacking off way to much here, when you have zero grasp on the hand as you have not really gained any information at all to tell you that your opponent has anything less than AJ. Im pretty sure your hand is somewhat face up to him, and he is expecting to get payed off with qq/kk