Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 03:06 PM

Default PSA - Bet your sets!!! [basic, LC]

Please consider this a public service announcement for the micros. This morning I'm going through my hand reviews from last night's session and this hand pops up in my records. Now Lord knows I love having idiots like this at my table but for the love of Shania don't play like this! I promise you this donk thought he was being tricky and advanced.

Ultimate Bet 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: ObjectLesson is in CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO <font color="#CC3333">ObjectLesson calls</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, ObjectLesson checks.

Turn: (2.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">ObjectLesson bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds.

River: (5.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">ObjectLesson bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 7.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG doesn't show.
UTG+2 has Jc Jd (two pair, jacks and sevens).
ObjectLesson has 5s 5d (full house, fives full of sevens).
Outcome: ObjectLesson wins 7.70 BB. </font>

Four flippin' opponents on the flop and he can't find the value bet in perfect position. I guarantee at least two to three calls here because it looks like a positional bet to steal the pot and everyone might come along. This bet will not scare anyone with any semblance of a hand. Bet! Bet! Bet! Instead this donk checks it through and loses a minimum of 2-3 small bets. The only thing that would have made this a better lesson is if he had lost the hand as a result but that didn't happen.

At this level simply bet your good hands and the fish will come swimming. Avoid the temptation to indulge in FPS like this donk and improve the health of your BB/100. Thanks for listening.[/rant]
Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: PSA - Bet your sets!!! [basic, LC]

you were closing the action, why the fck did you check.

ok, I read your whole post, yes good point, bet you sets.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:15 PM

I wonder if UTG+2 understood what the letters on his cards meant.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:19 PM

Ha - I knew someone would think it was me. This truly was a donk that I would put on my buddy list if I bothered to keep one.

I did commit a major kitten massacre last night on at least one hand but that involved a misread of the cards and a missed 3-bet on the river that probably would have been capped coming back when I had the nuts.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if UTG+2 understood what the letters on his cards meant.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2006, 03:28 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

Go t <font color="red"> J </font> ail.
Go directly to <font color="red"> J </font> ail.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Here's an even more common example of the same principle:

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: MoreCommon is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MoreCommon calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MoreCommon checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MoreCommon bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, MoreCommon calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MoreCommon checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, MoreCommon calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

I was MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[i]Edit: Correction, I held Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and had been stealing at an overly-tight table for several orbits. Had he 3-bet preflop and bet his TPGK on the flop, I'd have folded. I might even have folded just to the flop bet.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:02 PM

i fail to see how he misplayed his hand other than his minor mistake preflop.

plus i dont know what hand you actually held because the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is already on the board, but the fact that you did not bet the flop heads up in position after raising preflop means, imo, that you played incorrectly.

also, if you had some variation of QT, i dont see the point of raising the turn.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, if you had some variation of QT, i dont see the point of raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 PM

I haven't browsed this forum as much lately.
Have people been checking sets last to act in 4way pots a lot?