Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: most emotionally devasting moment in film

[ QUOTE ]
The final scene in Grave of the Fireflies

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Devastating is the word.

[ QUOTE ]
The photo album montage in Oldboy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The netflix disc is sitting on top of my TV as we speak; I'll see in a few days.

Also,

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone seen Fellini's La Strada,

[/ QUOTE ]

This one gets a mention from me as well. Along with all of Schindler's List. I often comment that it shouldn't be critiqued alongside other movies because its in a category of its own.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 AM

The most emotionally affecting scene in the(terribly overrated) Saving Private Ryan is the scene where the medic tells the story about his mother mentioned above. Not the knifing. That scene may have been tense, but it's a bad thing that happens to a major character in a montage of bad things happening to major characters. It's a rough way to go, but it's not a stomach punch.

Kurt, you won't regret the Oldboy Netflixing. I'm a sorry I gave even the minor spoiler there.

If we aren't allowed to use The Wire, Grave of the Fireflies runs away and hides with this award. Lots of movies can make the audience feel sadness, Grave of the Fireflies can make the audience feel grief.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 AM

I know that we have been posting fictional scenes only. I am surprised that more scenes have not been identified.

However, I want to post a non-fictional scene that fits the thread perfectly. Emotionally devastating . This piece of film that captures so much, all through the actions of a true hero, David Purley. Heroism when all around him are hopelessly ambivalent. If you are interested, it is worth searching for some background on this incident, and the comments from other non-participants - since Purley is the only bloke trying anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRYgW...ed&search=
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 AM

Okay I know you people will think me a wussy for actually being affected by a total chickflick, but one that gwts me is the scene in Terms of Endearment where Debra Winger, dying, talks to her sons. Her 12 year old is being really bratty and she tells him forcefully that she knows he loves her even though he won't ever admit it, and she doesn't want him to be angry at her for not getting the chance to tell her that when he gets older.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:26 AM

Dom,

Quick Sophie's Choice story:

About twenty years ago my brother and parents and I are all assembled for the first time since our pre-teens to watch a movie together (in this case on tape) which was my pick Sophie's Choice (believe it or not I actually read the book).

Anyway we get all the way to the exact moment Sophie is about to be presented with her choice and the f'in phone rings. This is just after 9:00 pm and in my parent's house a call this late means somebody in the family died or worse so everybody hits the panic button (or at least my parents did). Turns out it was one of my brother's friends calling about some hook up; this conversation lasts about five minutes. My Dad then decides to go to sleep and my Mother eventually watched the ending with me out of pity.

Ever since then I won't watch a group movie unless the phone is off the hook which means I avoid group movies period [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

~ Rick

PS I'm going to skip the thread after skimming it and seeing somebody complain about giving away a key scene in season four of "The Wire".
Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 AM

If we're talking non-fiction, then it's the plane hitting the WTC, followed by people jumping to escape the fire. Nothing on that scale has ever been captured on film. If not that, there's plenty of Holocaust footage floating around that will put me on tilt for a week.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 AM

People on Youtube have made a ton of vids of Band of Brothers set to music.

This video is terrific and shows the relationship between the medic Eugene Roe and the Belgian nurse that I mentioned earlier.

Every time that I remember that this really happened, that there really was a Eugene Roe and the people he served with really did live and die; it's like a kick in the gut. I was in the military, but in peacetime, so never suffered more than loss of sleep. Thinking about what they went through really works me over.

edit: Here's another Doc Roe video with the nurse.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Ok, probably not the most, but here are a few that definitely get me really sad off the top of my head.

Remember the Titans - car crash
Bridge to Teribithia - so glad I wasn't in a theater for this
My Girl - similar event to Bridge
Land Before Time - Littlefoot's mom dies (at least this was at the beginning)
Old 09-15-2007, 03:39 AM

Of Mice and Men - Lennie
Old 09-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Rick,

I wonder if most people still observe that 9:00 pm rule for phone calls. My pulse always races a bit when I get calls past this time, too. For some reason, I think we may be among the few here who have had that feeling.

John