Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Over-betting Aces a good or bad idea?

[ QUOTE ]

I know that most of the time, the last thing you want to do in a tournament is go all-in pre-flop early on, but turbo tournaments don't allow you time to build a stack properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, no. I want to get it all in with aces every time early. Or in the middle, and late too.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know that most of the time, the last thing you want to do in a tournament is go all-in pre-flop early on, but turbo tournaments don't allow you time to build a stack properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, no. I want to get it all in with aces every time early. Or in the middle, and late too.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya lol @ thinking they have an edge thats >> AA all in pre ever
Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 PM

But 56 has 6 outs and AA only has 2......
Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 AM

yes but 56 needs to catch MIN 2 before AA needs one.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes but 56 needs to catch MIN 2 before AA needs one.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're thinking about this wrong. This link provides a good explanation.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Rusty's just trying to stir the crap, no way that guys remark is serious here.

Dave
Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 AM

I don't mind going all-in pre-flop early in a tournament but I'm not going to actively push for it because I like to be more certain I'm going to win. With AA, you know you're ahead (and going all-in with the best hand can't be EV-) but, with five cards to come, there is too much chance involved. A good player will minimize the chance factor as much as possible.

I would normally like to make a raise strong enough to scare away any borderline hands whilst, at the same time, drawing in PPs and AK. The hands I would like to see if I were to go all-in. I do this because I'm comfortable post-flop. Obviously, if you don't think you can outplay your opponents on the later streets, you're probably best off moving all-in.

As the tournament progresses and the blinds get higher, I can see more advantages to going all-in pre-flop. The blinds you win when everyone folds are more substantial and there is less space to manouevre post-flop when a larger percentage of your stack is already committed.

The only exception is in turbo tournaments when you're under a lot more pressure to double up.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM

It definitely works in low limit STTs when the table's shorthanded (during which, according to one winning strategy, your only moves should be Fold or All-In).

It's a great feeling when you steal blinds with two All-Ins in a row, and then pick up AA and do it a third time...
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM

Well first off, "overbetting" is never a good idea. The term itself implies you bet too much. With aces, your goal is to get as much in as you possibly can pre-flop. If you are familiar with the players at the table, and feel a larger bet than normal has a higher chance of getting called, shoot for it. Only if you arent terribly deep-stacked. However, in general i dont think this is the best play. My goal is to never reveal my holdings with my betting pattern. So i dont overbet hands like 10-10 or J-J. A smart player would notice this. Thus, if I raise, I keep it standard, even if I have aces.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM

It depends on the situation and tourny or live. However, in general, I'm not frightened to play this hand. If I get it down to one villian, I'm looking to get as much out of him ot every street as I can, whatever works with this guy. I might even let him see the river depending on the texture of the flop. I usually try to end this hand on the turn.

Making a big bet hoping to win a few chips and run away from having to play this hand post flop is weak. This hand does not come around very often. Deturmine not to lose all your chips with it post-flop but to make as much as you can. Certainly you have to let it go occasionally. But I feel I do better letting the flop come out. How often do you raise preflop and some dolt calls you with JQ or KQ or AQ and hits his top pair on the flop? It's going to take even the best player a few bets to figure out he's beat and the donks just might call a 3/4 to pot size bet on every street.

The longer you let the hand go the more dangerous it gets and the more cautious you have to get. Your hand is best preflop and with each card put on the board it becomes weaker and weaker. My view in general is to end the hand most of the time on the 4th street bet. Usually by 4th stree there is every kind of draw looking at you. Those draws have slit pupils and forked tongues.

Dave