Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 PM

Default I really dont know how to account for the bubble here....

81 left, 80 pay, party 30+3$ (800/1600, some small ante)
Table has been moderate in terms of bubble tightness, big stacks have been opening more than there cards dictate, as you expect.

SB has 13k, and is not playing anything less than TT, AQ here.

Button: 44K min-raises to 3.2K
SB folds
Hero (29k) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Obviously I have F.E. on a jam, but his ramge should be tight enough that K9s = 72o here. I have only been at the table for 2 orbits, and guy has raised 2-3 times and won uncontested.

Can I actually call here. It feels right, but it also feels like I am being a P#&$%. My problem is there is no real bubble here, since he has me covered, and I am assuming he isnt sharpe enough to tighten my range due to the bubble.

**obviously I call, more streets to come
Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 PM

Default Re: I really dont know how to account for the bubble here....

If you jam, are you pushing because you think you are ahead of his range, or because you are restealing?

I don't think you are ahead of his range, and restealing here has more risk, so just call.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:34 PM

You could try a reraise; it smells like a cheap steal to me. He's been winning PF uncontested; have all his PF bets been minimum raises? You could raise him to about half your stack or a little less. I don't really like the call out of position, though.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could try a reraise; it smells like a cheap steal to me. He's been winning PF uncontested; have all his PF bets been minimum raises? You could raise him to about half your stack or a little less. I don't really like the call out of position, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds awful.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:07 AM

I'd prefer a call/bet out on flop as opposed to a preflop resteal here.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:33 AM

Is this his first min-raise?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you jam, are you pushing because you think you are ahead of his range, or because you are restealing?

I don't think you are ahead of his range, and restealing here has more risk, so just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... jamming because you're 'ahead of his range' is meaningless unless you're ahead of his calling range (hint, K9 is not ahead of his calling range)

so yeah, it'd obviously be a resteal, but I think it's a pretty easy one and one that is certainly +cEV, probably +$EV (bubble blah blah, I personally never pay attention to the mtt bubble except in extreme circumstances because I generally don't care in the least about cashing, but I digress), and probably more +$EV than calling. I just think you're folding to a cbet a ton here and I think a ton of those times he would have folded to a reraise preflop.

that said, I'm curious where this hand is going
Old 09-06-2006, 05:38 AM

I'd probably just call, then re-evaluate the flop.

You're being offered a good price on a hand that could easily lead to something tasty, and if the flop comes low, you can lead into it. If not, you've only lost 1xBB. I know it's passive, but the min-raise scares me.. unless he's a complete idiot and is going for a cheap steal.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... jamming because you're 'ahead of his range' is meaningless unless you're ahead of his calling range (hint, K9 is not ahead of his calling range)

so yeah, it'd obviously be a resteal, but I think it's a pretty easy one and one that is certainly +cEV, probably +$EV (bubble blah blah, I personally never pay attention to the mtt bubble except in extreme circumstances because I generally don't care in the least about cashing, but I digress), and probably more +$EV than calling. I just think you're folding to a cbet a ton here and I think a ton of those times he would have folded to a reraise preflop.

that said, I'm curious where this hand is going

[/ QUOTE ]

Restealing would be +EV and so that is always an option here. However, hero clearly didn't and I would like to know whether all of his raises pre-flop were min and, if not, what hereo thinks that a min here signifies.

Funkii, nice simple logic that villain folds a lot to a pre-flop resteals but hero folds to a lot of flop c-bets but hero is to act first. Isn't hero generally leading 2/3 pot here, if hero calls pre-flop, somewhat, but not particularly, based on the texture of the flop.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:11 AM

the thing i dont like about a flat call is you still dont know if he's on a monster (unlikely) or a weak hand such that a flop that hits you may just make you second best.

I dont like a push here as theres probably a 20%ish chance that he has a monster. I think i make a bet of like 10k to get a sense of where i am. if he pushes i have no problem folding as the chances of him having a monster at least in my mind increases. Somewhat depending on your reads but i got to believe this guy has some knowledge of the bubble and that you should/would tighten up somewhat - if so, then his push tells me he has a hand. If he calls, I play it fast assuming he checks ( assume theres a 10% of amonster at this point - he may be slowplaying a set or something similar, but i risk it) , if he pushes and i totally miss i prob fold.