Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Is Lidge Back!?

[ QUOTE ]
Mikey,

I know what constitutes a blown save, but as mentioned I thought there were 'save situations' in which the pitcher wasn't awarded a save even though the team ended up winning anyway. Generally when he screws up and nearly blows things, but I couldn't remember those parameters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my bad. I have no idea what guys are talking about when they say a guy comes in with a three run lead and lets up two and doesn't get the save. That's not the rule. People are stupid.

This is the save rule:

(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
(2) He is not the winning pitcher;
(3) He is credited with at least a third of an inning pitched; and
(4) He satisfies one of the following conditions:

(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches at least one inning;
(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat or on deck; or
(c) He pitches for at least three innings.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They shake Lidge who is simple a shell of his former self and pick up a top of the lineup center fielder a prospect at 3rd and a rag arm to even out the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
19 saves and 8 blown saves plus numerous games in which he let the other team back in, I'd hardly call that an ace.

Throughout the year if the Astros had a three run lead going into the ninth the final would be a win by 1 after Lidge gave up two runs but still collected the save.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was responding to these.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Throughout the year if the Astros had a three run lead going into the ninth the final would be a win by 1 after Lidge gave up two runs but still collected the save.

[/ QUOTE ]

More fun with numbers:

Lidge had 19 saves. In 18 of those saves he surrendered 0 runs. In the other save he surrendered 1 run. In his saves he had exactly zero saves where the Astros had a three run lead going into the ninth and the final was a win by 1 after Lidge gave up two runs but still collected the save, even though you seem to think this happened "throughout the year".

Life lesson for you: facts are good, ignorance combined with strong opinions is bad. You're welcome. Go forth and prosper with your new found wisdom.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ using saves/blown saves numbers to prove your point.

Lidge 2007

3.36 ERA
131 ERA+
88 SO/30 BB (3:1 ratio)
11.x K/9

Real awful numbers there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Astros fans are probably speaking more from what it was like watching him this year, as compared to 2004-2005. In 2004 and 2005, he pitched with a lot of confidence, and when he entered a game everyone knew it was over. His slider made a lot of batters look absolutely silly. When he came in a game, everyone was confident that he would close it out. Now there just isn't that confidence anymore: he made me more nervous more times this year than any other athlete in sports.

Do keep in mind he didn't record his first save this year until July 17, and he had been promoted back to the closer's role in June. Most of his solid work this year was as a setup guy, not as a closer. There seemed to be a noticeable difference, through much of the year, in his confidence when he came in to close as opposed to when he came in for middle relief.

Yes, he's still one of the best relievers in baseball, and anyone suggesting otherwise is an idiot. I'm definitely going to miss him. In the end, this move made sense because he's a year away from free agency, and the Astros are more than a few players away from contention.

I hope he regains his form as a closer. As someone on another forum I read put it, cheesesteaks + a closer who makes you nervous = heart attacks. And as several other people have said, Phillies fans are a lot faster to boo than Astros fans, and Lidge got booed a few times in Houston this year.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of his solid work this year was as a setup guy, not as a closer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is correct. Another reason why the idea of "closers" and "saves" is absolutely effing retarded. The 7th and 8th innings are just as important as the 9th. I thought he was really effective as what people call a "set up" man. I don't see why the Astros didn't just keep him there.

Years ago Wagner was the closer and Dotel the set-up man with Lidge pitching the 7th. Then they let go of Wags and Dotel became the closer by default for a year and Lidge moved to the 8th. Dotel was shipped off to KC I believe in the Beltran trade, and subsequently Oakland, and Lidge became the closer by default. Now he's gone.

I suppose it'll be either Nieve or Sarfate next year.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If RedBean isn't here within 10 minutes, he's probably perished. I heard he flies around with a cape that says "BB" on the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am limited in discussing a certain someone to a certain dedicated thread.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More fun with numbers:

Lidge had 19 saves. In 18 of those saves he surrendered 0 runs. In the other save he surrendered 1 run. In his saves he had exactly zero saves where the Astros had a three run lead going into the ninth and the final was a win by 1 after Lidge gave up two runs but still collected the save, even though you seem to think this happened "throughout the year".

Life lesson for you: facts are good, ignorance combined with strong opinions is bad. You're welcome. Go forth and prosper with your new found wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is solid work, right hurr.

A++...great post.

Nice use of facts, smooth style, and sweet finish....the 3 key thing you're looking for when defending a ballplayer on the interwebs.

PM me if you're interested in a position that may be more challenging and present higher profile workloads... I'm looking to fill a slot to cover weekends and occasional weekday swing shift.