Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Playing 99 like a donkey

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Playing 99 like a donkey

I usually fold this hand when UTG raises. To me, an UTG raise usually means a premium hand. But since you played and then raised the flop, after UTG checks the turn, you should bet again. Since you checked, you now give control to the next person who puts money into the pot. You won't know where you stand.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Besides the preflop 3 bet, I'd play it the same, and the 3 bet's just personal preference I guess. I usually wait until I have JJ or better.

I think optimally though......you should probably fold the turn.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually fold this hand when UTG raises. To me, an UTG raise usually means a premium hand. But since you played and then raised the flop, after UTG checks the turn, you should bet again. Since you checked, you now give control to the next person who puts money into the pot. You won't know where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize this is 6max dont you? This 3bet is very standard

OP: I like the flop raise, but with this line you should follow through on the turn. The cold callers behind you on the flop are a little scary given the flush board, but you can bet now and easily fold to a raise OR you could check and fold. I think you chose the worst turn line you could. You dont really have a good draw (3 other ppl, 1 probably has a 9 high FD covered) but you hand is probably not best either. As played i think bet/fold.. but i could see check/fold too.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You do realize this is 6max dont you? This 3bet is very standard

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know that this is 6max. I play tighter on PP &lt;=9
Old 03-15-2006, 01:44 PM

I think you have to bet the turn. Seems like a pretty easy fold to a raise, and you don't give up the lead.

PF looks standard to me as well.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 6-max yo...the UTG raising standards are lower
Old 03-15-2006, 03:28 PM

Like others, I don't think betting this turn is very good. With what hand is button CC the flop? A flushdraw or a T. So why is betting this turn good? Also, when you check the turn and button bets and utg calls, how bad is just folding?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:49 PM

Looks fine. PF standard. Like the flop raise, pot is too big to give up on the turn considering hearts may still be good. Once the ace comes on the river, you can probably let it go.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:08 PM

If we're not betting the turn, I really cannot think that what we should be doing instead is checking and overcalling here. If we are really convinced the dude can't be cold-calling the flop without a flush draw or T (which I don't buy at ALL, by the way...) then we should be check-folding. The measly value of our 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is not enough to merit continuing in that case.

But I think you're giving your 1/2 opponents too much credit. The guy behind could have a straight draw, overcards, smaller pair, whatever. I much prefer betting the turn if we are intending to put any more money in here. Considering the extreme paucity of flushes against which we are drawing live, and the very real chance that UTG has a bigger [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I'm happy to fold my "flush draw" if raised on the turn.