Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 10:06 AM

Default 5-10 line check

villain: 21/17/1.5 over 153 hands, seemed fairly solid
hero played a standard TAG game and I attacked the blinds with a wider range than I normally do bc SB was a cs and BB wasn't playing back aggressively

UTG folds
MP folds
CO folds
hero raises $10 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB folds
BB raises $10
Hero calls $5

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets $5
Hero calls $5

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets $10
Hero calls $10

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $10
Hero...?

what do you guys think of my line? would you value raise river as played?

I'll sometimes raise flop, but usually not on a flop this dry, when I call villain's flop bet I think a turn raise is -EV

obv I bet when checked to, but is there value in a river raise? (obv folding to a 3-bet)
Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: 5-10 line check

you're basically targeting TT-QQ vs AA/AK/KQ/KJs/99, so no.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:17 AM

yeah, you're right, pretty easy call when I think about it

I called, villain showed A9

I'm pretty sure he'd call a river raise with that hand, but against his range a call is in order
Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM

I would usually raise the turn
Old 09-02-2007, 02:48 PM

I like this hand as played, but I've been thinking a bit about getting in a raise somewhere.

I wouldn't raise this flop. In fact I almost never raise flops HU in position. Let him lead the turn again with his whole range.

IMO if you want to get a raise in I think the river would be the best opportunity. It gives him a chance to bet his AQ, AJ, AT one more time, and on this river he will probably only 3bet you with KK and 99. He'll make a wtf call with AA, AK, KQ as well as TT-QQ, 77, 88. So you get to showdown for a total of 3.5BB unless he has KK, 99.

If you raise the turn you will have to call a 3bet for 2pair/trips outs against AA, AK, KQ and fold the river UI. It will also let him get away from AT-AQ which he may have bluffed the river with, losing you a BB. So this way we also spend 3.5BB, but don't see a showdown.

So we spend 3.5BB either way, but by raising the turn we let AQ-AT off easily (a big part of his range) and don't get to showdown.

Again, I'm still not sold on a raise anywhere, but I think the river would be the best place to do it.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:02 PM

i'd raise the turn for value almost everytime, since his 3 bet range preflop is reasonably wide.
against very aggro types calldown is fine imo, since they 3 barrel no matter what and i would hate to fold to a 3 bet
Old 09-02-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB wasn't playing back aggressively

[/ QUOTE ]

BB 3-bet preflop. This looks like classic WA/WB. Raising at any point basically lets villain off the hook with any hand hero beats, and just throws money away when hero is behind.

Call every street, bet when checked to.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BB wasn't playing back aggressively

[/ QUOTE ]

BB 3-bet preflop. This looks like classic WA/WB. Raising at any point basically lets villain off the hook with any hand hero beats, and just throws money away when hero is behind.

Call every street, bet when checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]
indeed. for those who said to raise turn, think about what will result: villain will fold everything we beat and call/3bet with everything that beats us, there's no value in a turn raise
Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd raise the turn for value almost everytime, since his 3 bet range preflop is reasonably wide.
against very aggro types calldown is fine imo, since they 3 barrel no matter what and i would hate to fold to a 3 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

With top pair of Kings, no kicker, not a whole ton of value in raising the turn. If you had raised say j8s, and the flop was j9xr then I like it better because there are lots of river cards that you can't VB, and you can charge two overs.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 PM

its fine as played I think, with some history (and the right history) id raise the turn