Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: is the world flat? ...seriously is it?

this is why the bible is so good. you can get all your answers from one book instead of reading all those other books at a library.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 AM

Oh boy.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 AM

I feel bad for her children
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She probably doesn't realize this but being educated can help you do a better job raising your child. For example, it's hard to make good money in this world if you're more ignorant than a 15th century 10 year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that the majority of 10 year olds living in the 15th century (1401-1500), would generally not know that the world was round. The majority of children at that time had no formal education and a large number of adults believed that the world was flat. However, I am not aware of any scientificly valid survey that was conducted on this subject at any time during the relevant time period.

I agree that it is a good idea to know facts that may not be extremely relevant to your daily life. However, we see enough examples of people who do not bother to learn facts that are very relevant to their daily activities, that I cannot get too upset with someone who chooses not to focus on information which they believe to be non-useful. For example, it would be nice for:

An internet message board poster to learn the spelling of common words such as ridiculous, lose / loose (these are 2 different words), etc;

A poker player to understand that the likelihood of an outcome is not dependent on what happened last hand (assuming a fair and adequate shuffle has occurred);

A blackjack player to learn the underlying principles and basic strategy for the game they are playing.

These are examples where people are routinely ignorant of information that is very relevant to their activities. I find this much more disturbing than someone who does not know the shape of the planet that we live on.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

These are examples where people are routinely ignorant of information that is very relevant to their activities. I find this much more disturbing than someone who does not know the shape of the planet that we live on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then let's give them a TV show so we can make fun of them, too.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen "Deal or no Deal"? Just once, I want one of the contestants to say something like, "well my expected value is $250,000, and your offer is only $160,000, but thats a ton variance and I'm way out of comfort zone with these stakes so I'll _______".
Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM

I think I would have next asked if she knew what it is that humans breathe. Or if she knew what a [censored] sapien was. Ridicule is fun!!
Old 09-20-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ JOHN 3:16

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen "Deal or no Deal"? Just once, I want one of the contestants to say something like, "well my expected value is $250,000, and your offer is only $160,000, but thats a ton variance and I'm way out of comfort zone with these stakes so I'll _______".

[/ QUOTE ]

if you say anything about variance being too high, it just means the banker can [censored] with you
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just silly. It is a fundamental point relating to the reality around us. We look at the sun and feel its heat, we see the stars and wonder what they are. Night and day come and go like clockwork. In this modern world, not asking enough questions about your this personal reality to find out that the world is a sphere is seriously poor. That is without even mentioning the fact that this woman will most certainly have seen a globe at some point in her life.