Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Lars and the Real Girl

What a terrific movie this is. Ryan Gosling gives an outstanding performance as a girl-challenged guy who decides he'll get what is basically a blow-up doll. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a wonderful movie about family, small-town values, friendship, common decency, and life.

You'll laugh and then you'll cry. Gosling's performance is Oscar caliber and the rest of the cast is uniformly excellent, especially Emily Mortimer and Patricia Clarkson.

Great stuff, don't miss it. For me, it is up there with Michael Clayton as the best I've seen this year.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Lars and the Real Girl

i agree. i really enjoyed this one. i thought his brother was just as interesting as lars..
Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 AM

I think if you post a review of a movie that only can be found at Laemmle's Sunset 5 in Hollywood you should give some warning to those of us that live in less metropolitan areas like Orange County. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 11-23-2007, 01:10 PM

I saw it at the Landmark Westside Pavilion. It's worth going out of your way for.

Or wait for it on Netflix. But it's a wonderful, heartwarming movie. Capraesque. And Gosling's performance is every bit as good as was Jimmy Stewart's in It's A Wonderful Life. I didn't care for Gosling in Fracture, and I didn't see his Oscar-nominated performance, but he hit a home run here.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 PM

I enjoyed Ryan Gosling's performance, but I did not see the magic in this one. I left feeling underwhelmed. I went in open minded and hopeful, but left feeling bored and thinking "I could have watched Gone Baby Gone."
Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM

gone baby gone is overrated imo..
Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw it at the Landmark Westside Pavilion. It's worth going out of your way for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night I typed in "Los Angeles, CA" in the Yahoo Movies "Search for locations" box figuring that would cover locations in Los Angeles. After reading the above I Googled "Landmark Westside Pavilion" and found that it is in fact located in Los Angeles. Looking further (I am a nit after all) I entered the zip code for "Landmark Westside Pavilion" into Yahoo Movies and found it.

Now if I were a nit who follows through with things I'd find the suggestion box for Yahoo and email them with the suggestion that they always list the closest theaters for a given movie to any zip code. If I search carefully enough I usually find the limited release or "arty" movies are playing down near UCI (the closest thing Orange County has to culture) or the East Side of Long Beach. Both locations are more accessible for me.

Long rant to make an excuse for a joke/needle gone bad but like I mentioned I'm a nit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Or wait for it on Netflix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I have a decent TV that's an option but there are some movies one wants to see right away.

[ QUOTE ]
But it's a wonderful, heartwarming movie. Capraesque. And Gosling's performance is every bit as good as was Jimmy Stewart's in It's A Wonderful Life. I didn't care for Gosling in Fracture, and I didn't see his Oscar-nominated performance, but he hit a home run here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Rotten Tomatoes to check out the reviews and it gets 80% good (pretty high). Then for the first time I decided to use their showtimes tab/feature rather than Yahoo's. I typed in my zip and got 14 hits. F__k Yahoo, if they can't get locations right they should be nibbled at the edges by the specialty sites.

~ Rick
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if I were a nit who follows through with things I'd find the suggestion box for Yahoo and email them with the suggestion that they always list the closest theaters for a given movie to any zip code.

[/ QUOTE ]

Google is your buddie.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now if I were a nit who follows through with things I'd find the suggestion box for Yahoo and email them with the suggestion that they always list the closest theaters for a given movie to any zip code.

[/ QUOTE ]

Google is your buddie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 AM

Andyfox, you could have written this one while on the toilet and wracked by superbowels. I know no more about the flick after your post and the responses than I did in the first place. I love that the lounge is involved in your posting, as you are an ace poster and by every account an ace guy, but I feel shut out of your post by its one-off nature. Don't mean to be bitchy or negative, but I wish that if you had a feeling or a thought, especially in this laid-back forum, you would consent to tell us what it is.

P.S. I'm sure that request/observation is impossible to make without looking like an as*hole, but if anyone can, I am ready to learn.