Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-11-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: No Country For Old Men

Dom did you ever do anything with that script you wrote?

Tuco.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was just optioned by an independent producer in L.A. So the writer's strike happened at the right time, obviously. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] At least I got paid first!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was just optioned by an independent producer in L.A. So the writer's strike happened at the right time, obviously. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] At least I got paid first!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him you insist I play the lead. I promise to be at least as good as Steven Seagal would be.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM

You don't understand. The lead role calls for someone with a really GOOD ponytail.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't understand. The lead role calls for someone with a really GOOD ponytail.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, it does.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Default A Big Disappointment

Saw it this afternoon. It was Fargo redone in Texas without the novelty. Same story. I liked Fargo a lot. This was boring. Bardem was like watching a robot. Brolin was good, following up on another good performance in American Gangster. The last hour was just slow and dull. The only time there was any interest on screen, for me, was when Tommy Lee Jones was there. And I didn't understand the last scene, nor the next to last scene.

Maybe I just don't get it. And, I have to admit, I don't understand what the movie was about, what purpose there was for making it. Woody Harrelson was just plain awful, and I didn't understand why he was even in the movie.

What am I missing, guys?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: A Big Disappointment

[ QUOTE ]
Saw it this afternoon. It was Fargo redone in Texas without the novelty. Same story. I liked Fargo a lot. This was boring. Bardem was like watching a robot. Brolin was good, following up on another good performance in American Gangster. The last hour was just slow and dull. The only time there was any interest on screen, for me, was when Tommy Lee Jones was there. And I didn't understand the last scene, nor the next to last scene.

Maybe I just don't get it. And, I have to admit, I don't understand what the movie was about, what purpose there was for making it. Woody Harrelson was just plain awful, and I didn't understand why he was even in the movie.

What am I missing, guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

given u thought 3:10 to Yuma was an all time great western...this review was totally expected lol.

But I'm sure some people won't like the pacing of the film regardless if they like the film itself.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 PM

I agree that the similarities to Fargo are there: the vicious psychopath, vast empty landscapes, a cop who can't fathom the depth of the ongoing depravity. I think the main difference is this is kind of a continuation of the theme; the crimes in Fargo were an anomaly, the type of things that just don't happen in those kinds of places. In NCFOM, however, the senseless crimes are more a harbinger of what's to come, of an area that's going to be riddled with violence because of the drug menace. The events of Fargo happened because of one man's greed, and they ended when the few agents responsible were stopped; the events of this movie will continue to happen because of the greed of many, most of whom will never be stopped, or even known.

I think Bardem was supposed to be robotic. He was a man who was so committed to his twisted principles that he couldn't allow any deviation from them. He was like Hannibal Lecter in that Hannibal had a very strange sense of etiquette that he followed religiously, and expected others to do the same. Anton Chigurh had his code, and he followed it even when there was no gain in it for him (example/spoiler: <font color="white">the scene where he went out of his way to murder the wife, for instance </font>).

And I agree that Woody was the weak link of the film, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to call him awful. He had more of a purpose in the book, as he revealed a little about Chigurh's character and placed the events of the story in a bigger picture.

When you say you didn't understand the last two scenes, are you speaking of the ones at Tommy Lee Jones's house and that of his uncle or whomever that was?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 AM

I haven't seen the flick yet, but your comments about it were really interesting, jester, and made me want to see it more.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. I want an invite to the premier and the wrap party so I can meet Jenna obv. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For any that haven't read Dom's screenplay, beg him to link to it. Great story in the genre of some of the movies talked about in this thread.

Tuco.