Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-01-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: How about a sticky for Mason\'s reviews?

I just read everything, lol, makes it easy. You usually have a good idea whether the author has any idea as to what he's talking about before you get too far.

There are a good number of very good books that are tougher reads, so you devote more time to those, but they're few and far between.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 PM

I read book reviews, but I tend to treat them as I do movie reviews. With books, I will go to the library (ie, bookstore) and look at the book even after reading a review. With a movie, I sneak in the theater. Just kidding. Generally, I will go see the movie and make up my own mind. There has never been a negative review of a movie that made me not go see a movie although there have been positive reviews that got me to go.

I ended up not going to see Bourne Ultimatum due to the fact that the review said there was a lot of fast camera movements and I have an inner ear problem which would make me sick after watching such a movie.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 PM

If Mason did the reviews, wouldn't that sort of cause a conflict of interest issue? Sort of like Absolute Scandal getting audited by you know who.

Even if Mason isn't biased, he surely can get accused of being so.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Mason did the reviews, wouldn't that sort of cause a conflict of interest issue? Sort of like Absolute Scandal getting audited by you know who.

Even if Mason isn't biased, he surely can get accused of being so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I am being too optomistic and I don't know Mason, but I would like to think that he can be unbiased and his reviews are unbiased.

Many times, people are going to think what they want to think despite evidence to the contrary.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People have asked for this before but Mason has always said he didn't want to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much a true statement. Check out this link for more information regarding this topic.

Recently, I've made some comments in a few other random threads about the possibility of a sticky. It's something I'm looking deeper in to. Probably won't have anything new on this for a least a couple weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks deacsoft,

Sorry, I didn't realize I was re-opening a can of worms again.
My only point is this: What is the point of writing book reviews if it is not readily accessible to the readers??
Mason obviously writes reviews to help us:
a) make decision on which books are worth buying and
b) help us be aware of how useful/correct/applicable certain books are if we have chosen to study them

I buy a lot of poker books (not just Twoplustwo but a lot of others as well) and I really find Mason's review helpful and I just feel that we defeat the whole point of making them accessible if we can never find them.

There are scores of other authors that rate Two Plus Two books and their reviews are always easily accessible (i.e. Slotboom and Hilger come to mind). I really believe that everyone reviewed each other's books, everyone would be better off for it.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Hi avatar77:

There are many reasons we don't have a sticky with recommended books. One of them is simply that there are so many books coming out that it is difficult to keep up with them all.

I will consider the idea of posting all my reviews. That's different than the sticky with what is recommended. However, first we must get our software upgrade successfully completed. So it will be a while before we make a decision on this matter.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 AM

The sticky could be a master topic with links to the best review threads. I suggested this concept originally in HPFAP 1st edition, scribbled in pencil in the endnotes.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Holy Fraac, if I keep this up, I may pass fraac in posts before the upgrade.