Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: this is your war on drugs

[ QUOTE ]
When I was in high school, my mother wanted me to get her some pot for a friend of hers that had breast cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate to derail the thread, but what kind of sally high school did you go to where you could not find any pot? I never smoked during high school and I knew tons of people I could go to, explain that story, and they would be willing to help me out. Nothing against you, it just seems like pot is super prevalent in our society, despite the laws which try and hold it back.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what you're saying is that anyone should be able to get any kind of drug/medication anytime they want at anytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW my wife had breast cancer in the late nineties and I was forced to break the law in obtaining pot to get her through chemo.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^ And this is why.

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't heard anything about what his doctor in NJ said. Haven't heard anything about what doctors in Florida said. Haven't heard or read anything about what came out at the trial. Sorry but I think this is a one sided report so I'm reserving judgement. But it sounds to me like this probably an unremarkable story most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the doctors think is irrelevant. They don't own the man's body. I was reading something recently that compared doctors to lawyers. Lawyers, while they deal with incredbly important issues (sometimes even involving life and death), they only play an advisory role. Clients always have the freedom to proceed against their lawyers' wishes or without consulting a lawyer at all. Doctors, however, take a parental role, with the power to deny a specific course of action to one of their patients. Why should this be the case? Why shouldn't someone be allowed to go against his doctor's advice and take such-and-such medication?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess what you're saying is that anyone should be able to get any kind of drug/medication anytime they want at anytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you start with that belief then a few other things follow. Will get to that later.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW my wife had breast cancer in the late nineties and I was forced to break the law in obtaining pot to get her through chemo.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^ And this is why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree totally that this is justification for doing away with prescriptions more or less.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't heard anything about what his doctor in NJ said. Haven't heard anything about what doctors in Florida said. Haven't heard or read anything about what came out at the trial. Sorry but I think this is a one sided report so I'm reserving judgement. But it sounds to me like this probably an unremarkable story most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the doctors think is irrelevant. They don't own the man's body.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe that prescriptions should be done away with I agree that the doctors beliefs are irrelevant. I don't share that view though.

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading something recently that compared doctors to lawyers. Lawyers, while they deal with incredbly important issues (sometimes even involving life and death), they only play an advisory role. Clients always have the freedom to proceed against their lawyers' wishes or without consulting a lawyer at all. Doctors, however, take a parental role, with the power to deny a specific course of action to one of their patients. Why should this be the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they've studied medicine and have an in depth knowledge that the vast majority of people don't have. They have the expertise necessary.

[ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't someone be allowed to go against his doctor's advice and take such-and-such medication?

[/ QUOTE ]

See above.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:55 PM

The bottom line is that any system of laws and regulations that will put a man in jail for 24 years (or any amount of time for that matter) for possessing pain pills, under any circumstances, is unacceptable. It's ridiculous. There's no defending it.

natedogg
Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM

I think what he's trying to say is that you will still have "perscriptions", as they pertain to a doctor reccomended dosage of a certain drug. But it shouldn't stop you from getting OTHER drugs.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but this is how I read his post.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because they've studied medicine and have an in depth knowledge that the vast majority of people don't have. They have the expertise necessary.

Quote:
Why shouldn't someone be allowed to go against his doctor's advice and take such-and-such medication?

See above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you believe the same should apply to lawyers?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

See above.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the mission of doctors and lawyers is totally different, although the main message here I agree with. You should be allowed to make the final decisions about your medication. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't consult with doctors. It doesn't mean that you still wouldn't get reccomended dosages of drugs, etc. Their expertise is there to guide you, to point you in the way of the information that you need. Personally, I can't imagine a scenario that I'd NOT listen to the doctor, but I shouldn't be prosecuted for it if I do.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

See above.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there are many times that you're an idiot if you deal with the legal system without a lawyer.

You get legal advice from laywers and they represent you in legal matters. I don't see that being the same as writing prescriptions.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is that any system of laws and regulations that will put a man in jail for 24 years (or any amount of time for that matter) for possessing pain pills, under any circumstances, is unacceptable. It's ridiculous. There's no defending it.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

So either forging prescriptions is ok, pain pills should not be prescription drugs or both.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their expertise is there to guide you, to point you in the way of the information that you need. Personally, I can't imagine a scenario that I'd NOT listen to the doctor, but I shouldn't be prosecuted for it if I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd be ok with decisions to totally ignore the advice of the doctor and requisition any drug that someone felt like getting? Could be something else I don't know. But if you have the freedom to administer any drug to yourself that you want you certainly aren't required to consult with a physician.