Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Default PLO8 Push Nut Straight On Turn With Redraw But No Low?

Villain is 21/1/1.

I have a redraw to a higher straight on the turn. Do I want to keep the pot small because I have no low draw or did I play this ok?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($5, 5 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $2.5</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($15, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $15</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $37.5</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $114.5</font>, MP2 calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($244, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $244)

Results:
Final pot: $244
Old 09-01-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: PLO8 Push Nut Straight On Turn With Redraw But No Low?

Seems standard to me, you simply can't let sets/ld's draw here (part of the reason you probally fold this PF much of the time).

Villian shows 678T/348T you'll have their money soon enough anyway, just say NH &amp; move along.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems standard to me, you simply can't let sets/ld's draw here (part of the reason you probally fold this PF much of the time).

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed -- of course you'll never fold it out of the bb in an unraised pot, but you get the point.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian shows 678T/348T you'll have their money soon enough anyway, just say NH &amp; move along.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is key -- too many people are tapping the aquarium these days.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 PM

How about just folding the flop? This hand is essentially just a gutshot draw because I'm only getting half if 4 of my outs come. The only card I really like is an offsuit Jack and in this case it came and I still got quartered (villain had A3T8). Is that pretty weak or logical?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 PM

this trikes me as weak, but a lot of it depends on your playing style and the metagame at the time.

it's very possible that you hvae HUGE implied odds if you hit, and if that's the case, then drawing even to 4 outs is +EV. if would personally try for a CR (now that i take a better look at the action) to put pressure on people, but betting out has its own charms.

the fact that you got quartered is being too results-oriented -- you'll get this as often as you give it. if you were HU with this tight player, then folding might be a more compelling line, but that strikes me as simply realizing that you have less implied odds.

fwiw, it REALLY sucks when you're handed 5 or 10 of these types of hands in a relatively short period of time, but that's poker.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is key -- too many people are tapping the aquarium these days.

[/ QUOTE ]
O8 has got to be the worst on the net, I guess the sick short term variance is why.
[ QUOTE ]
How about just folding the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not horrible, but I believe a call is the most +EV play here (4-way POT).
[ QUOTE ]
villain had A3T8

[/ QUOTE ]
Cooler! You can't live in fear of 4 carded Monsters y0.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:45 PM

meh.. I think the raise by villain on the turn basically says we both have the same hand but who has the better redraw? I have 4 scoop outs and he has 20 or so low cards to quarter me if he has some semblance of a low draw. The turn could have been played differently like CRAI but the result is the same. Check calling the turn is another possibility just to minimize my losses but that seems uber weak as well.