Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: OOT, What is your life situation?

[ QUOTE ]
Sportswriter (Medium-sized paper, cover mostly high school sports which I find enjoyable)
Married 4+ years
I'd rate my happiness at about 7.5/10. Things could always be better but I have no real reason to complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost went the sportswriter route, but I thought it would be in the way of a family. Evenings at the HS/college level, traveling if you make it to a national level, I just don't know. Do you find that you have enough time for your job, your family, and your friends?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've just found somebody amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]
its one of the old broads next door ain't it . Steal your cat, bake you a pie , fall madly in love ...If i heard this story once i heard it...well once...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sportswriter (Medium-sized paper, cover mostly high school sports which I find enjoyable)
Married 4+ years
I'd rate my happiness at about 7.5/10. Things could always be better but I have no real reason to complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost went the sportswriter route, but I thought it would be in the way of a family. Evenings at the HS/college level, traveling if you make it to a national level, I just don't know. Do you find that you have enough time for your job, your family, and your friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no question this job can be hell on your relationships. I'm fortunate for two things:

1. When I met my wife, I was already working evenings/weekends, and from the start she knew the deal. She accepted that when she accepted me. Whatever problems we've had, none of them have been because of my work schedule.

2. We both tend to be fiercely independent people, and we both have lots of individual hobbies we enjoy whenever I'm home/she's at work or vice versa.

As far as friends go, I still had one good one from high school who I play a small poker game with most weekends, and most of my other friends are my co-workers or, believe it or not, coaches. The reason I enjoy high school sports is the (relative) lack of egos involved.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM

Kids, however, could be tough. That's a bridge we have yet to cross.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Stakes: SNGs up 10 $109 and some 1/2 2/4 NLHE to mix it up.
Happiness: Happy with some stresses. Not much free time, tons of student debt. General mood seems pretty dependent in what hospital ward I am on, some are fun and some suck ass. Main concern is not so much about finishing my training, its what I will do in a year and a half when I am done. Have to start thinking about where to move and what job responsibilities I want to take on and what specialty extra training I want to get etc etc. Am considering signing a 4-year contract with the army (Canadian Army). Pay is not bad, huge signing bonus (enough to instantly wipe out my student debt with some to spare), pension after 3 years service, only one 6mo active deployment (Afghanistan likely -- non-combat, base hospital), whatever specialty training I want at full salary with a 1:1 return-of-service commitment as far as time of extra training. Don't know...with all they are offering, looks pretty appealing. Have been in school so long I am institutionalized now. School is familiar, school is comfortable. Real life is scary.

[ QUOTE ]

family: getting married in a few months

happiness: This is a mixed bag. Most days, yes. However, it's become clearer recently that grad school was probably a mistake. I'm close enough to finishing that I think I'm going to ride it out, but the postdoc route doesn't look very appealing for a variety of reasons, so I'm going to try and find some industrial job. I am pretty open to this not involving physics per se.

This is an occasional source of depression/frustration and is the main source of unhappiness for me. The academic route is what almost everybody goes into grad school expecting, and is what the culture is built around, so even if you've made the conscious decision that it's not for you, you still feel like you've failed. Sometimes this triggers jags where I get to feeling that I'm not very interesting anymore (which assumes I ever was), and that's not so fun. But this is pretty rare. For the most part, things are pretty good. I like my friends (grad school has been fun even if it wasn't the greatest idea), and I feel pretty lucky to have found my fiancee. She's a great companion, and considerably more tolerant of some of my foibles than most women would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

And dude, I hear ya. I was in your shoes when I was 24. Was in a PhD program in medical microbiology and I hated where that career was going. That was maybe the unhappiest years of my life. In the end I cut my losses, downgraded to a MSc and bolted. I then locked myself in 4 years of medical school which was a tough decision. I don't have any regrets, but with you having a fiancee and stuff it might be tough for you to take on 4 years of another program and all that extra debt you will incur. Once you start a 9-5 with steady income things might turn around for you.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM

-Occupation (If poker, please list stakes)
Litigation Support Case Manager

-Family? (GF/Wife . . kids)
Live w/ GF of 1 year

-Would you say you're happy with where you are?
Happy w/ GF. Not happy with Job, Location, everything else
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM

Poker (mostly 10/20nl)
Single

As far as my happiness is concerned, I feel really good about poker right now, my social life is pretty weak (I think I have enough friends, I just don't put in enough effort into those relationships), but I just moved back to San Diego a few months ago and have begun setting up my life here, also the fact that I've spend the last several years sitting in front of the computer I'm definitely lost a lot of social skills and feel like I've missed out on a lot of things because I haven't gotten out there and done anything or met new friends. So I'm trying to unlearn that too. Although things have been busy/stressful at times so I'm pretty comfortable with my situation right now.

In 6 months if I'm still not doing much I will probably be disappointed though, but for now I feel really optimistic about my future and the options that I have created for myself thanks to online poker.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 PM

toxicology major in senior year
g/f is in Poland so I guess no g/f
I'm running bad in gambling and overworked in school, so no im not happy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Law student, but poker pays the bills (100 & 200NL)
I have a GF of 3 years whom I live with. And a dog.

I'm pretty happy with where I am. I like law school. My main source of frustration is that I don't have the time to play enough poker to actually build my bankroll. So I play just enough to survive on and then cash most of it out. But whatever, at least I don't have to work.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Pilot for a large U.S. "regional" airline

Wife

Happy? Not really. Never though i would be out of college and working at the same company for 5+ years still making less than 50k a year.

Brag: Wife and i were able to fly first class to paris and back this weekend for free.