Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Playing AA

OK - first post, to try and test my understading (I'm new at this so Hi and please take that into account...)

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Flop: (9 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

What I did: think (OK guess rather than calculate) that there was a large pot, therefore not continuing was potentially not good value, so I called the second raise.

What I think I should have thought was: the pot may have be 8.5 BB (so having to put in 2BB to call the raise takes this to 4ish:1), but the odds of another A were 12:1, when the 2 raises indicate that at least one of them has a K. Therefore I should have folded there and then...

It seems right, but is it (I'm talking basic principles for beginners, rather than an advanced discussion...)? Would it make a difference if there had only been one raise?

Essentially I think I got trapped by the allure of the AA and should have been prepared to ditch it, but I want to test the idea of when the pot's big enough to take the chance anyway...

Many thanks

David
Old 09-20-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Playing AA

i think you mixed up your odds, you are getting more like 10-1 then 4-1 (this might be over estimating, but i cant cant this early in the morning [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) for the call on the flop.

just because this is so big, i will call the flop and dump the turn UI. but yes, it looks like your rockets have run into trips. although i dont konw if it is possible that people will play a flush draw like this at 2/4?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 PM

You can't call the flop the first time based on boat odds; you only call if you think your hand might already be good and if it is your opponents will slow down (which is usually reasonable).

After it gets capped you're screwed. Peel and fold the turn. BTW odds of hitting an A on the turn are a little under 20:1. It's more like 12:1 over the turn and river combined but if you think you need a boat to win you are not seeing a river.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM

Fold to the threebet. Your aces are almost certainly cracked. The pot isn't big enough to continue. You need 22 to 1 (not 12 to 1, not sure where you got that from) for your two outs and you're being offered 7.5 to 1. Never mind. Better luck next time. When it comes back to you capped, well, I guess you have to peel and fold turn UI.

After one raise, it would be different.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 PM

Thanks all. I got the odds from an odds sheet, but took them for the turn and river. In these circumstances, I can see that it's better to take just the turn odds.

Many thanks

David
Old 09-21-2006, 05:35 PM

Without reads... I'm not convinced I'm behind after 2 other players raise my bet out on the flop. Honestly I'm capping this flop and leading the turn.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 PM

*grunch*

One of the two might have an FD, but it's hard to believe they both don't have a K. I think I bail when it is 2 back to me. You're paying 15:2 and only have two outs. Fold.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM

Without reads, I could see someone else having a pocket pair, a two, a flush draw, or even just an ace here. After just a raise and a reraise, I'm not going to automatically put my opponents on a king.

I'd worry more after MP2 caps the flop. However, I'm still seeing the turn.