Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Phil Laak on high stakes poker season 4

We all make generalizations of people and I just have to say I just cannot stand Phil Laak's personality. He may act all funny or whatnot but he never really plays any hands besides big hands. He loves to ramble on and act like everything is good but whenever he is in a big hand, hes as quiet as a mouse. When Antonio ask Phil to straddle first, Phil goes i will if everyone agrees but I will not go first because some of you will say oh i was just kidding. C-MON phil, nobody's going to do that. Once they agree, you can't even trust them? He talking so much BS about it because he is such a chicken because he's afraid he will get a bad deal when obviously if the whole table agrees, it will happen and he is scared of going first

Then the hand where he had a set of 7s and Todd Brunson did that hand motion thing, Phil immediately got mad and went into such a hissy fit. He turned a game with a good atmosphere into a serious one. If you guys would get a chance to play a cash game with pros, would you want someone like Phil Laak in there? For me, its a hell no. This guy is all fun and laughter and BS when he's not in a hand but when he gets to play a hand, he is just too serious.

By the way, did Todd Brunson actually called the 10,400? I saw the call but the way announcers were saying it, i am not sure if Todd called the 10,400 to Laak. Yes, i know what Todd Brunson did should not happen but do you guys see Phil Laak's reaction. Man, he's happy and go lucky the entire show but in this one hand, he gets serious and to his "usual self."

And what makes me can't stand him the most is his BS comments. Things he said on that show included "I wonder what it is like to win"... WTF, you always win because you play ABC poker and never make any unabomber moves. But when you do, you usually stop firing after the flop or the turn. I have never seen him fire 3 shells at a pot before. I am surprised Mikey never said Laak never have the "heart" to fire 3 bullets because Laak is the least likely person to do so. I think even Antonio hates the way he talks. When was the last time i ever seen Phil Laak play a big pot on high stakes poker? Never that's why. If he did play, it is obviously the nuts or close to it. Gape Kaplan even said todd brunson knows Phil Laak's game pretty well which is why he didn't raise on the turn with the pair of Queens and a flush draw.

Throughout that whole show, Phil is talking all day when they are dealing out the cards and every single hand he folded on the show... yes i know only the good hands were shown. But when i was watching that hand with Brunson, Laak and the other guy with AK... i saw Brunson limped, the guy with AK raised and when I saw Phil Laak getting his chips to call, i just KNEW he had 44-88 and of course the hole cam showed pocket 7s.

Phil Laak is just way too predictable in cash games and the worst part about it is that he talks like a LAG but plays like a nit.

Does anyone else the same about him? I recall Josh Arieh said something similar about Laak and why he doesn't even play like any crazy unabomber. He just plays straightforward Tag with an annoying personality.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Phil Laak on high stakes poker season 4

Plus he deals drugs and puts hits on people in Thialand.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:29 PM

Aren't he and Antonio high all the time?

He can't be all bad if Antonio likes him.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Cliff notes: OP doesn't like Phil Laak.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Phil is funny.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM

Laak is a clown and represents douchebaggery in poker. Unfortuantely it's paying off for him. I wouldn't trust Antonio and Laak playing on the same table...
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Laak & Humberto are tied for "douchiest and most annoying antics" in poker award
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM

he acts like a typical trust fund kid.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Well, be's banging Jennifer Tilly, so he's got two things going for him.

Two big, soft, things....
Old 08-29-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Laak is a clown and represents douchebaggery in poker. Unfortuantely it's paying off for him. I wouldn't trust Antonio and Laak playing on the same table...

[/ QUOTE ]

I like him. I think he's quite humerous sometimes and I think he really is a big kid out there with his comments, just having fun. Saying all that, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, or Antonio, but I like watching Antonio as well. I'll take both of 'em over Michael Vick.