Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Frustrated Poker Players on ESPN

I know this is related to the ESPN WSOP thread but it deserves a comment of its own...i just cant tolerate watching ESPN and the 'frustrated poker player' when a bad card hits or a flop doesnt pan out, especially moneymaker and gold...i simply couldnt stand watching moneymaker huff and puff about all his 'bad luck'...does he remember the 2 outer he hit on umberto brenes with pocket 8's vs. aces in 2003? if he loses that hand, he most likely isnt more than a quick fart in the wind in wsop history...how about his full house on the river vs. ivey with 10 players left?...so he comes back in 2007, gets run over by a couple of 'amateurs' (chris YOU ARE AN AMATEUR) and acts like he has the WORST LUCK of any tourney pro.

Similarly, Jamie Gold had that "Ugh, i just cant pick up a hand look" in the hands they showed. When ESPN shows 7/8 hands of one guy and hes pouting, you can multiply that pouting by 10 for a 15 hour day. Dude, YOU WON THE WHOLE THING FOR 12 MILLION DOLLARS IN 2006!! WHO CARES IF YOU GET KNOCKED OUT ON DAY ONE FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS. YOULL STILL HAVE 11.9 million dollars left over.

Hellmuth i can take because of the hilarity. But these other 'pros' who complain about their luck in the world series is getting gut wrenching to watch. And the guy who flopped a straight and the board had 4 spades when the river came was all WAH WAH WAH (the hand where the other guy had the king of spades and called the slowplayed A of spades)...doesnt this happen ONCE A NIGHT TO ALL OF US IN A LIVE GAME!! (several times a night online)...what is so unusual about this! Theres THOUSANDS of PLAYERS. ITS ONE OF THE THE BIGGEST TOURNEYS in HISTORY. For gosh sakes, its hard to win a single table SNG nevermind a tournament with 6000/8000 players. When are these idiot 'champions' who should be graceful endorsers of the sport going to realize this!!!!?? im done.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Frustrated Poker Players on ESPN

I can understand being frustrated when you get sucked out on in a huge tourney like the Main Event. Mumbling about your bad luck, while tacky, is forgivable. It's human nature. Berating your opponents and calling them idiots, etc. (e.g., what Devilfish did), is unacceptable. At least Moneymaker called himself an idiot, not his opponents.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 PM

I don`t think Moneymakers behaviour was bad. He has way more class than Jamie Gold.

Gold is painful to watch. He gives away a lot of chips in one of the first hands in the tournament, trying to push an idiotic bluff through.
Couple minutes later he complains about being shortstacked and not able to risk anything no more.

I guess someone should have told him before the ME this year, he won`t start with 60 millions in chips in front of him, so he can call everyone with 2 3 hoping to get lucky again and again. I was shaking my head when he was talking to the rail saying something like "This is ridiculous, I am already shortstacked..."
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM

my pick for number one cry baby is Joe Hashem, he begs for cards, which i cant stand. c'mon dealer one time, and them pouts like a 5 year old when he gets his money in with the worst hand. c'mon dealer, one time.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Jen Harman gets my vote, after watching HSP for a season or two she has a terrible scowl if she loses a pot or has to lay down a hand. What Cory Zeidman did to her was abysmal but apart from that she is just a little moaning baby on TV at least.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 PM

I wasn't too impressed with ol' JGOLD...

The swede(?) Haugaard(?) seemed to totally have Gold's number.
He even said to Gold, "don't you know that we all watched the
2006 WSOP ME on TV? We're wise to your anticts, Jamie."

At which point, I was thinking, Jamie should just shut up,
play his cards, and stop trying to win every single hand.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At which point, I was thinking, Jamie should just shut up, play his cards, and stop trying to win every single hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that what you say about the players on your favorite sports team? "You've won in the past, so stop trying so hard to win right now?"

Its the competition. Competitors want to win. Its that simple.

It doesn't matter what you have done in the past. You are playing in the here and now, and you want to win here and now. All of the emotion that comes with the desire to win shows in the moment, in this hand in this game.

A professional athlete on your favorite team that has won previous championships doesn't say, "Ah, what the hell, I've already won a bunch of these. I don't care if I make any plays this game." He plays to win at that moment in that game.

Over the long run, each of the poker players on TV may be content to some degree with their success and their bank account, but we are watching them express the desire at that moment -- win.

Previous success doesn't mean that you shouldn't continue to push yourself. That's a primary difference between winning and losing players.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM

op's rant B-

you forgot to mention Gold complaining, saying how "sick" it was, and storming away from the table when he made a straight w/ 52o and had to fold
Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my pick for number one cry baby is Joe Hashem, he begs for cards, which i cant stand. c'mon dealer one time, and them pouts like a 5 year old when he gets his money in with the worst hand. c'mon dealer, one time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with this. The most life tilting thing I've heard in my life is joe hachem getting sucked out on in the 2006 main event.

He then said what makes me "almost" hate him ( he's still a nice guy but wow...) :

"STORY OF MY LIFE"

?!?!?!?! Ok the guy wins the main event and the story of his life is getting sucked out on deep in the next main event...
Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 PM

OTOH, I don't think I've ever seen Steven Dannenmann without a smile on his face