Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 01:27 AM

Default Buddy got dumped, move here standard?

My best friend at school has been with this girl for well over three years, since his junior year in high school. We are now roommates in an apartment in our second year of college, and his girlfriend used to hang out with us all last year in college, we would go out together or in groups, and I genuinely like the girl. She and him were really inseparable, and besides me he didn't hang out with any other guys, she was really his whole life.

I was talking to her as she was walking up to our apartment door at the same time I was. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, however when she got in she told him to walk out into the hallway with her. About 5 minutes later he walked back in in what looked to be complete shock. "You in the dog house?" I asked him jokingly, I always give him [censored] about being whipped by her. He looks at me kind of weird and says, "I just got broken up with" and sits down. Anchorman is on, and our other two roommates are sitting there kind of awkwardly, they aren't as familiar with him as I am, and so they leave, expecting me to console him. We routinely lie to each other about things and try to call the other person out, so I laugh and say, “Dude, not funny. If you’re joking about this I swear I’m going to punch you”, still laughing. He looks at me all sad-like and says “I’m not joking, Nate.” Damn. This sucks. FWIW, she left him because “she hadn’t experienced the single life enough,” which is all I got out of him.

Look, I love this guy like a brother, and would do anything for him. However, I don't really know that much about helping out a bro in need. I asked him if he was cool, and wanted to talk about it, but he just said "no " and kept watching Anchorman in silence. My response was "Look man, I know this sucks, and I have class at 9 tomorrow, but [censored] that, you wanna break out some of the Jack and play cards with X and Y (who are some neighbors of ours)?" He loves cards, but isn't good, watches me play all the time. We can't really go out and drink since we are both underage, and I have no bud so getting high and chilling is out too. He said sure and we are about to do just that in a couple of minutes, but he doesn't look thrilled.

Is this standard here? I assumed he would want to get drunk and maybe reminisce with some friends, start drunkenly ranting "[censored] you (insert girls name here), ya whore." He doesn't look too happy obviously, and doesn't seem to want to talk about it. I guess I could tell him that we can call the whole thing off, but whatever he wants to do is ok, etc.

He hasn’t said anything about her yet, so I don’t want to ask him about how to treat this girl when I see her. I don’t have any experience with how to help him out, like I said. I plan on being cordial if I see her on campus but to stop having conversations with her so it’s clear how I feel about her doing what she did. Is that good or should I not let it stop my convos with her? And no, I’m not going to make any move on her at any point in time, regardless of what Man Law dictates is ok.

Some of you guys are way older than I am, and have some experience with something like this. Please take a little time on this, don’t just respond with the obligatory “OOT is not your blog, learn how to do this [censored] yourself.” Oh yea, I will not SIIHP, nor will HSCKH. I think.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Buddy got dumped, move here standard?

Getting buddy drunk is definitely standard, but mostly you're looking to keep him distracted and from getting depressed. At Day Zero I doubt he wants to or is able to actually talk about getting dumped, he hasn't even been able to process it internally yet. I'd try to feel him out about it tomorrow or the next day though.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:38 AM

If there were ever a time for hookers and blow....
Old 09-06-2006, 01:39 AM

Did anyone think of a rounders scene immediately?

Just hang out with him and do stuff with him, keep him occupied, and allow yourself to be available if he wants to talk, but don't push it.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:46 AM

Dude just hang around with him and stuff. Oh, and don't let him make any desparation win her back type of moves.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:50 AM

Your move is perfect...

All he needs is a friend now and it sounds like you are doing that too a tee.

He will work it out in his own ways just be sure to be there for him when he does...

nh,
Scrilla
Old 09-06-2006, 01:52 AM

Yeah man - Just hang out with him and do whatever. If he wants to talk, then listen to him. If he wants to get his mind off it, go do other [censored] with him.

FYI - When I got dumped by an ex girlfriend about 3 years back, my roommate (who had to work the next morning) stayed up with me, helped me kill a bottle of Jack Daniels, each smoke a pack of cigarettes, and listened to me all night. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but it was exactly what I needed. He called in sick the next day, as did I, and we just hung out and played video games. Again, it was nothing huge, but it was exactly what a great friend should do.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:56 AM

SIIHisB
Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM

the ex-gf did your buddy a huge favor. He just doesn't realize it yet. I would be nice to the ex-gf too. At least she broke it off BEFORE banging a bunch of other dudes. That was very considerate and mature of her.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:04 AM

While he's in the pisser, I'll tell you what I forgot. He was a big alkie before he met her, as well as a pothead. She "reformed"{ him yada yada. Hasn't had a real drink in like two years. He downed like 7 drinks tonight. I'll let him back off (or on??) the wagon for tonight. Quote of the night (him): "Dude, at least I'll be able to jack off again"

Yea, he'll be just fune.

drunkenly,

ego

oh yea I pwned the card game lol