Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 AM

Default How do you avoid becoming a nut peddler in Omaha?

Serious question. I've been silently reading hand posts here on and off and a lot of the advice advocates very tight open raising ranges and check/folding a ton. Not to say that is what is advocated in every post but I see a trend. How do I avoid becoming a nut peddler, staying creative, and make money in omaha? Are these mutually exclusive?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: How do you avoid becoming a nut peddler in Omaha?

try a very loose open raising range and check/raise a ton.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do a search for all Petes posts, then play exactly like him [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. I'd add playing HU PLO for a little time too because that'll force you to open up. I've found PLO is a game where people are so afraid of a better hand (LDO). Much more so than NLHE. And, even though it's PLO, your opponent isn't hitting monsters non-stop. They really aren't. You have to know when to fold big hands but just spend some time mashing the pot button and, like Pete said, throwing in a lot more c/raising and you'll notice the difference.

I play almost entirely HU PLO and your average HU PLO player is no where near as good at dealing with aggression than the average HU NLHE player. If you can compliment ridic aggression with an ability to lay down massive hands when need be, you'll soon be driving your opps insane.

Some of the crap people are willing to get it arrr-in with after being quite disciplined for 20 minutes play is hilarious.

Just loosen up in position baaaaby
Old 10-18-2007, 07:03 AM

I'm sure this can be explained by my c-betting frequency is higher in PLO than NLHE and I get away with it. People are simply not continuing passed the flop without a solid hand. They don't want to risk playing a big pot without the goods.

Notwithstanding that, you have to know when you switch gears regarding the c-betting. I think this advice pertains well to the average to inexperienced opponent. To the thinking player, trim your c-betting a little more as they are better at picking spots to raise/c/raise you and put you to a decision.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question. I've been silently reading hand posts here on and off and a lot of the advice advocates very tight open raising ranges and check/folding a ton. Not to say that is what is advocated in every post but I see a trend. How do I avoid becoming a nut peddler, staying creative, and make money in omaha? Are these mutually exclusive?

[/ QUOTE ]

table selection is important... some tables at lower levels (sorry if it offends you but thats what I assume you're playing) just aren't right for being creative
Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

table selection is important... some tables at lower levels (sorry if it offends you but thats what I assume you're playing) just aren't right for being creative

[/ QUOTE ]

Also you don't need to be overly creative on FR tables at lower levels to profit nicely. It's also important to know who the nut peddlers are on your table.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken at all, you are quite right. I'm a newer PLO player and really appreciate the answers in this thread thus far. I think there is definite potential for creativity in omaha and it doesn't have to be simply just an equity math problem each and everytime.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM

The simplest answer is.... play more hands?

Seriously, PLO is a very exciting game and it`s totally shame to play it like a nit....we have Texas Hold`em for that crap.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM

There is nothing wrong with playing like a nit in PLO. Many guys make good money all the way up to the highest levels doing so. If by creativity you mean "woo hoo, I can play more hands preflop than holdem" then yes, PLO is more creative. By any other metric, I doubt it is.

gl

bdd