Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: A question about degeneracy in winning poker players

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a "brain dead" experience. That's right. If you learn to play poker well eventually it becomes close to a repetitive exercise with little if any room for creativity. Forget it for now and pursue your dream of being a journalist. Poker will always be there if you want to come back to it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is sage advice, but not very applicable I am afraid. I simply can't see my self laying down poker. Not when I can make money so effortless (I play exclusively sng's which is boringly mechanical but less governed by variance). Even though I don't enjoy poker as much as I used to, I still find it a game worth playing - especially since it provides for a better living as a student (who can't bother to finish his education)

I am currently in a process where I try to find motivation into calling my school counselor in order to register for my final exam. But I continue to delay it since I do not feel I am ready yet. It is a tough exam to pass, and one has to be really motivated as it is a long and tough ordeal.

I have convinced myself to contact him first thing next year. As a kind of new-year resolution.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 PM

"Degeneracy" literally means a decline or reversion. In this context, it sounds like you are using poker as an escape from assuming greater responsibility in the world. Not that you are getting worse at poker, but you are using it as a way to avoid your personal evolution.

I am doing the same thing myself. I am 33 and I just quit my job to play poker full-time for a living. I need the money and can't stand "normal" jobs, but I'm not really much happier grinding poker for a living. It's just another job.

I encourage you to finish and motivate for the exam. Don't wait another month. Do it now. You can continue playing to the extent it doesn't interfere with your degree. No matter which path you choose, there will be pain and challenges. There is no avoiding that if you are going to evolve. I hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have convinced myself to contact him first thing next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is the case this whole conversation may have been for not. Good luck.

pokervintage
Old 12-01-2007, 09:13 PM

you can be addicted but not a degenerate.