Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:36 AM

Default Should I go Pro? #132890213 (long)

OK. Here's a little background.

I am 18 years old and am finishing my freshman year at college (Northeastern University). I started playing poker in high school with buddies and as soon as I turned 18 I deposited $100 into PartyPoker. I lost it all in a day. I deposited another $100 the next day and I haven't looked back.

First semester of school I focused hard on my classes and did my work and got decent grades (3.0 GPA - needed for scholarship). The begining of this year, however, I started running really hot and turned my 2k bankroll (for NL100) into what is now ~50,000. I am currently 9 tabling NL$1,000 like a madman and I feel my roll is plenty big enough to handle the swings.

Anyways, back to the school part. This semester I have "fallen off" somewhat and am not caring as much about class/getting good grades. I worry I will not get my 3.0 to keep my scholarship ($8,000/yr) and my parents will be very upset. I have slept through countless classes (also one quiz and ALMOST one final) due to staying up to the wee hours of the morning playing poker. There are days where I will win $8,000 in a few hours (and then lose it all shortly after) so the money isn't much of a factor. Classes are over for the year and I have one final left.

This week alone I feel like I have barely left my room since I started 9 tabling NL$1,000. Perhaps I am addicted to poker but I really like to play it and make money. I feel that I could make it very well simply by playing online for the next couple of years and occasionally stopping by Turning Stone for their uncapped 10/20 game (which I will soon be rolled for).

This summer I have no plans. I used to lifeguard for 3 years and I love that job but I can make more money in one day of poker than I can make in the whole summer lifeguarding. I have a feeling I will spend a lot of the summer sitting around (probably on my patio) playing online poker trying to keep building this bankroll.

I have learned a lot about bankroll managment over the past 4 months since I hit my awesome heater. In January, I was playing NL$100 maybe 3-4 tables at a time. Took some shots at 1/2 and 2/4 and found I could do pretty well there playing a LAGish game vs the fish. Before I knew it I was taking shots at 10/20 with a 25-30kish bankroll.

Needless to say, that didn't go well and I lost about 1/2 of it. I went back to NL 400 and grinded out for a few weeks till I hit 600NL. Followed the fish around and collected some bucks and now I am doing NL1000.

At the moment, I haven't spent any of my poker winnings other than to play poker. If I do decide to "go pro" there are a lot of things I would need to keep in mind to pay for and budget around. I think it could be a great experience living on my own for a couple years playing poker online and live until the craze dies down in which case I will go back to college to study architecture, something I always wanted to do. But I just can't focus on school when I know I have this awesome opportunity waiting for me.

I know you guys see these posts a lot but I would like to get some advice. Thanks in advance.

-James
Old 04-21-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Should I go Pro? #132890213 (long)

Read the thread in MTT about finishing college.

You really can do both, it's not that hard.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:54 AM

link? I dont see it
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
link? I dont see it

[/ QUOTE ]

Linkhizzle
Old 04-21-2006, 08:45 AM

As a current NU student who went through the same thought process, I recommend you try to stay in school. I don't know what your major is, but when it comes time for co-op do some 20 hour a week internship. My first two co-ops were both closer to 10 to 15 hours a week and I had all the time in the world to play poker. (My last one was ESPN Radio in Charlestown).

You can't spend all your time playiner poker. You need to interact with people. You have one week left at school. Get out, go to parties, find random hoookups. While in school it shouldn't be that difficult (depending on major) to take 4 classes and play 15 hours a week of poker, while still having time to enjoy a social scene.

You could even do a 4 year program with no co-op and have the worlds longest summers.

Good luck with what ever you decide and PM if you want my screenname.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:26 AM

Another Northeastern alum here. Good thing poker wasnt around when I was in school or else my life would have turned out very differently.

It seems like you still have a a long way to go since your just finishing freshman year but my advice would be finish school while keeping a strict part time poker schedule. Its very easy to say eff school at this stage in your life esp since you are running well but may not be the best idea long term for your future/health.

I played for a living for 3 months in between jobs and did well but there are some types of stresses that come with playing without a safety net which is your college degree/ability to get a job.

Everytime I got in my car I worried what would happen to my bankroll if the person in front of me stopped short and I rammed into her, if I landed awkwardly on a layup and broke my ankle. For that time I was paranoid about alot of things, particularly my health and my bankroll. You should think about these things even though you are still under the security of your family to handle any major setbacks.

All I can think about these days is poker but I have the security of a great well paying and challenging job financing my bankroll. Life is more than poker...think about that when you consider it being your only line of income.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:02 AM

You need more perspective on life. Ggbman is particularly good at that. I'd spend way less time playing poker and way more time having fun with friends and going to class.

You also should be careful about burnout.

Krishan
Old 04-21-2006, 11:02 AM

Guys, how hard is it to go to class. Cmon. If you're smart enough to beat high-stakes your smart enough to beat your classes. Just finish school and then you can play as much poker as you want.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 18 years old and am finishing my freshman year at college

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me when I say this - don't do it. Live your life, go to college and do what you're supposed to do. Poker will always be there - you really can make plenty of money while still in school. But you should leave yourself outs - poker, while a big money maker for many and a good side income for many more, is death as a career choice for most people. If it turns out you make gobs of money at cards, you can always reconsider AFTER you finish school. Trust me, I'm 26 now and you will mature alot by the time you finish college - do the real life thing for a bit, then see where you stand.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 AM

Grim,

[ QUOTE ]
I am 18 years old

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go pro. You will enjoy poker alot more if you don't.

Keep studying. Keep playing. Keep moving up.

If you are beating 10/20 etc when you have finished your education then decide.
Closed Thread