Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 AM

Default The hero in me wants to call this...aka...wtf?

Hi All-

Villain in this hand is running about 50/25/2. I haven't seen him do anything remarkable since i've been at the table, except generally play as donkishly as his stats indicate. I think I tend to make bad decisions in these types of places. I'll wait to hear your thoughts before pitching in mine.... put villain on a hand?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $85.95
BB: $72.75
UTG: $23.65
CO: $43.35
Hero (BTN): $54.30

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, SB calls $1.75, BB folds

Flop: ($4.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, SB calls $3.00

Turn: ($10.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $7.50</font>, SB calls $7.50

River: ($25.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets all-in for $73.45</font>, hero wonders whether he is feeling like a hero or not today

Pot Size: $98.95 ($1.25 Rake)
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: The hero in me wants to call this...aka...wtf?

He thinks you might have a 6. He has a boat. Fold.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 AM

Villain can't do this with, say, any 2 knowing a PFR can't possibly call this bet?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 AM

I fold vs AF = 2
Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 AM

You beat nothing but a bluff, so fold.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 AM

ez fold
Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 AM

This is a very easy fold, this is the micro stakes please don't think people will bother trying to think what you hold, let alone what they hold, just fold and look for a better spot.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:51 AM

I've only called a few times in horrible spots like this but its a nuts or nothing situation in my opinion. I would assume this nut had at least a 7 and never feel comfortable calling that much. Tough fold.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 AM

Looking strictly at the river:
he's holding a 7 or 6 most the time; but then again, you're right he could be doing this with any 2. Unless I have a read that villain is capable of a river overbet bluff, I'd let it go. 41.80 to win 67.30??? Not good odds to catch a bluff. The reality is we know the board is so ugly that only boats, high 7's or 6's can call this river push; and i'm pretty sure villain knows that. That said we're still not getting the odds to make a hero call, and nor do we have a read that villain is capable of acting on this read. You have to let it go, and you should be comfortable in doing so. Now if you're still not sure its the right play lets go street by street and try to put villain on a range; then you'll see villain can't be doing this with just any two:

Preflop: You raise from button, SB calls. Even a 52/25/2 is not defending his small blind with total trash, but its still a wide range: AA-22, AK-AT,Axs,KQs-54s,KJs-64s,KQo,KJo,QJo,QTo etc. He's got either a pair, 2 high cards or 2 suited cards. He's playing trash but justified trash.
Flop: he check calls; in a blind vs button battle this realistically could be anything but discount the QJs,QJo type hands. Medium high suited, and over cards that aren't AK-AJ,KQ
Turn: Villain check calls again. Now this board is scary its one to a straight and you double barreled meaning you either have a 6, a boat or an overpair. You're repping something. Question is what does villain hold. If he backdoored a flush draw wouldn't he lead with it? A 6 is def. in his range and he has to know you know that. Why not try to get you to fold a medium strength hand or overcards on the turn? When he calls your turn bet villain either has a straight, set or hand with some showdown value QQ-88.
The river: a seven comes down and villain pushes! What part of his range are you beating? QQ-88. Now do you think this villain is smart enough to know his hand has more value as a bluff than showdown value? Not likely, and even if he did this every time with QQ-88, I still don't think its a profitable call.

Fold and feel good about it.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 AM

instamuck