Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Knee issues (if not appropriate, please move or lock)

Summary at bottom:

I'm a 32-year old guy, and have played volleyball semi-seriously (USAV for those who know it) for 8 years, and on and off since junior high- altogether about 18 years.

A few months ago I felt for the first time what's best described as a 'looseness' in my left knee. I don't have confidence pushing off of it to jump, and am tentative moving quickly side to side. As far as pain is concerned, there's a general soreness moving up and down stairs and putting on my shoes, but nothing major. I just have it in my head that it's loose and any quick or explosive movements may cause a major injury.

I saw my orthopedist, who gave me an MRI- his assessment, it's normal wear and tear. He drained 10ml of fluid and shot in some cortizone. It felt great for the next week, and playing on it for the first few hours in a tournament was great. Halfway through the tourney I got the familiar looseness, and now I'm back to where I was pre-cortizone/draining.

Anyone experience something similar? I just don't see how this feeling is 'normal wear and tear'. I picked up a knee brace yesterday, but haven't used it yet to play. Will this help stabilization? Is it all in my head? Any input is appreciated.

Side note- walking/running, no issues.

------------------------------------------------------
Summary- volleyball knee 'wear and tear'- is feeling 'unstable' and 'loose' normal?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Knee issues (if not appropriate, please move or lock)

I wore a knee brace to play hockey after I tore my meniscus. I definitely had that lack of tightness feeling you describe. It helped me a bit. I tried to play soccer at the same time with the brace, but the sport required too much lateral movement and I had to wait longer.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the response. You mention you tore your meniscus first, though, and now you experience the looseness. I would associate the feeling I have with recovering from an injury- however, if anything it feels like it's getting looser.

I guess what I'm saying is I can deal with the looseness if it's not the warning signs of an injury to come.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response. You mention you tore your meniscus first, though, and now you experience the looseness. I would associate the feeling I have with recovering from an injury- however, if anything it feels like it's getting looser.

I guess what I'm saying is I can deal with the looseness if it's not the warning signs of an injury to come.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps see another doctor? It's probably an injury if your knee feels loose, especially if it gets worse over time. Although you weren't exactly resting it.

I tore my meniscus, and that caused my knee to feel loose, among other things. Any lateral bending ((or a twisting) of the knee would cause pain (that's basically how it was injured). I probably didn't wait long enough to start playing again. I kept playing for several years after though, and was able to play soccer as well.