Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 03:54 AM

Default OT - settle a bet

I made a bet a while back with someone that the first person to be playing 10/20 NL would owe the other person $500. This was meant as a consolation prize and just to add a little fun/competition to our cash quest. We set out bankroll rules to follow, including withdrawals, and were allowed to play lower, but not higher.

Some time went by, and we both suffer from some combination of not being great or not being lucky so at this point neither of us are close based on the rules.

Tonight after a couple of ridiculous beats by freakin morans in 2/4 I had the thought that I'm sick of poker and should tilt up and either win big or quit. I've had that thought before, as I'm sure most of us have, but have never acted on it. This time I looked at the 10/25 game and saw that I've played with 2 out of the 3 people and one of them was bad. Then the one that wasn't bad left.

No real trip report on the game. I played 120 hands and won $721. Over those hands I played with 6 different players and a couple of them might have been good and a couple of them sucked very badly. I don't want to encourage people to play over their rolls, but I don't think it's that rare for people to tilt up, and unlike me, many of them may not be even trying to play their A game.

There is no bad blood in this decision. The guy I'm betting with says "i mean i think the context of the bet was whoever got to 10/20 as in properly rolled/ beating the game." I replied "I'm going to put it to a vote I think. You shouldn't be more likely to get welshed on just because you are nice." There will be no hard feelings between us either way.

The vote goes without a poll because I'm going to say you need 500 posts to qualifiy for a vote. I don't want this determined by strangers and/or gimmick accts.

I can't find the exact terms of the bet. They are on some backup CD and one of my backup CDs is blank so I don't know if I can find them.

You should either respond "pay" or "don't pay."

After responding pay or don't pay there is an additional choice. This choice will be non-binding, so you should repond to the first choice regardless.

"Play 10/25 until busto or robusto and pay if robusto, not if busto"

The main reason I'm posting this is because I'm kinda hoping you pick the last option. This would only be busto for this site. I have a little over $4k on it. I took all but $600 off line when party kicked me off and then took more off when neteller was in trouble, and this isn't really a huge part of my roll although I'm not sure if I'll reload. I'd probably just play some lower stakes on stars where I have some money.

And I thought I was the responsible one.

edit: Obviously the other reason I posted this is that I wanted to brag about playing 10/25.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: OT - settle a bet

the bet you initially said was 10/20

you played 10/25.

i need more information before i can make a decision.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 AM

nice hit playing 10/25
stop playing it
go back to your normal game
dont pay
Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the bet you initially said was 10/20

you played 10/25.

i need more information before i can make a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have 10/20 at this site, but I'd say "same difference."

edit: Also it's already way tl;dr and I don't really have any more info.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 AM

I'm under 500 posts so I don't have to follow your defined responses... with that said:

It would be pretty stupid for you to lose this bet for decided to take a huge risk at a higher level, why make a bet like this if not to just set a contest for who can advance in stake quicker? You losing here would be like a bet with a stranger where youre just trying to find a loophole to win when you shouldn't.

If you were really asking if you should win for "beating" this level, you clearly broke the rules set out for being properly rolled in 10/20 therefore you shouldn't win either.

The contest should continue...
Old 03-04-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm under 500 posts so I don't have to follow your defined responses... with that said:

It would be pretty stupid for you to lose this bet for decided to take a huge risk at a higher level, why make a bet like this if not to just set a contest for who can advance in stake quicker? You losing here would be like a bet with a stranger where youre just trying to find a loophole to win when you shouldn't.

If you were really asking if you should win for "beating" this level, you clearly broke the rules set out for being properly rolled in 10/20 therefore you shouldn't win either.

The contest should continue...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I follow, but I think you are mixing up who has to pay. I would have to pay for playing 10/25, so playing 10/25 and "winning" the bet would mean I pay him.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:12 AM

you werent at the proper BR, you were tilting - either of you could have immediately moved to 10/20, but that wasnt in the guidelines of the bet, thus, you dont get paid
Old 03-04-2007, 04:14 AM

Don't pay.
Stop tilting.
Play whatever limit you are comfortable with. If it bores you, move up. If it scares you, move down. If you want to play under-rolled, well that's a personal choice.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:17 AM

Oh.. yeah you didn't get to 10/20 properly rolled, and that is such a small sample that you also can't say you are beating that game either. Definitley do not pay, go back to 2/4 and continue the contest.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:22 AM

Definitely don't pay

The spirit of the bet was that the first who could beat 10/20, as in make in their main game, would pay the other one. Taking a shot one night at 10/20 clearly does not qualify anymore than a fish playing 2 $1050 SNGs saying that he is a $1k SNG regular. Until you play 10/20 every day you haven't "made it" to 10/20. Even the other member of the bet defined it as "i mean i think the context of the bet was whoever got to 10/20 as in properly rolled/ beating the game." You clearly can't claim to be beating the game until you have a large sample with a stastically significant win rate, which you haven't come close to assembling.

I also think the second option is not close either when I say do not play 10/20 until busto or robusto. Anyone who is playing $2-4 regularly has little chance at a normal 10/25 game in the long run. I don't mean this as a personal attack in any way, i just don't think any $2-4 regular (whether it be me, curtains, or you) who isn't absolutely crushing the tables (which is probably none since they would move up) has a shot against significantly better competition. Sure, you might find some soft tables once in a while but the poker limits are very good at finding their skill equilibrium even if it doesn't always feel like it. Honestly I would put your chances, my chances, or any $2-4 regulars chances of going robusto at 10/25 at <1%. Cash out the money and buy something nice for your wife and/or kids instead.